Get Back to Nature!

A/N: Inspired by the photo below, this was an entry in National Geographic's "Planet or Plastic" competition, designed to highlight the perils of plastic waste in our oceans.  500 words.

Yes, you can believe your eyes

Yes, you can believe your eyes. The wait is over. As proven by the absolutely genuine, completely undoctored, real-life photograph shown above, the most anticipated tourist destination of the decade is finally open.

They said it was impossible. They said it couldn't be done. They said no human would ever swim in the ocean ever again. They said all sea-life was gone, forever. But here at the MegaGlobalCo Marine Fun-Park, did we listen to the naysayers? Did we accept defeat? Did we let those annoyingly gloomy greenies have the last laugh?

Of course we didn't.

Through the wonders of modern technology, combined with an unwavering dedication to providing our visitors with a truly wonderful, all-natural experience, MegaGlobalCo has worked tirelessly to regenerate a specially enclosed section of ocean, positioned alongside our 5-star luxury island resort.

Within this section, state-of-the-art filters work constantly, keeping BPA, PCBs, DDT and other persistent organic pollutants to concentrations barely over the levels mandated as dangerous back at the start of the century (and we all know what a bunch of over-cautious nervous nellies the regulators were back in those days).

Meanwhile, our highly advanced robotic sea-drones constantly scour this little patch of paradise, tirelessly removing floating waste—bags, cups, packaging, syringes, etc—before dumping it safely into the surrounding ocean (rest assured this is entirely environmentally responsible, as these waters are so polluted our little deposits are barely noticeable).

The result? As our photo clearly shows, this combination of technology and dedication allows us to provide a stretch of ocean so clean and free from plastic as to approach levels not seen since the 2120s. A truly remarkable achievement, as we're sure you'll agree, and one you and your loved ones can now enjoy for yourselves.

But wait, there's more. Oh, yes—here at MegaGlobalCo, even miraculously rejuvenating the ocean isn't enough for us. Along with the glamorous Amber (our resident marine conservationist and vice-president of PR), you may have noticed another swimmer in our photo. A swimmer not seen in the ocean for more than twenty years. A swimmer who, along with every other sea-creature larger than a bacterium, was long thought extinct.

No more.

Meet Globey, our very special manta ray. Yes, you read that correctly—not content with repairing the seas, MegaGlobalCo is also re-populating them.

Impossible, you say? Life hasn't been sustainable in the ocean for decades, you protest? Well, MegaGlobalCo isn't about to let a little detail like that stand in its way. Globey is but the first of many sea-creatures our robotics department has planned, sea-creatures vastly superior to their hopelessly inadequate biological forebears in every way.

Exciting times, we're sure you'll agree. So, slip that straw into your drink, load your groceries into that single-use bag, stop stressing about plastic and come join the excitement, here at the MegaGlobalCo Marine Fun-Park.

Getting you back to nature!