Sci-Fi Smackdown Semi-Final - Jack Russell Park

A/N: The prompt for this one was to write a story based around the idea that dogs are the biggest creatures on the planet.  5800 words.

In a lavishly appointed board-room, silent but for the whisper of the air-conditioning, a disparate group of strangers sat and regarded each other from around a gleaming mahogany table.

Seconds ticked by.  Throats were cleared and watches were checked.  Finally, a man dressed in black spoke.

"OK, I'll bite.  Anybody know why we're here?"

Glances were exchanged and bodies shifted nervously.  Nobody replied.

The man sighed.  "Well, at least I know I'm not the only one sucked in by the offer of a big cheque, a first-class plane ticket and not much else."

A woman in a chambray shirt and faded jeans smiled at him.  "You have to admit, the cheque was pretty hard to resist."

He grinned back at her.  "That, and the curiosity.  Who's going to say no to an offer from Raymond Harris, reclusive billionaire and eccentric genius?"

The man seated next to the woman rubbed thoughtfully at the three-day growth adorning his slightly weather-beaten features.  "Perhaps if we all share what it is that we do, it may shed some light on why we're here."

"I'm game," replied the man in black.  "Eric Maxwell, mathematician.  Specifically, I'm a network theorist, specialising in complex systems."  He looked expectantly at the woman.

"Sally Ellis.  I'm a zoologist."

Her neighbour smiled indulgently.  "Sally is being a little modest.  She's actually a post-doctoral fellow, specialising in predator-prey relationships.  She was one of my best students."

Maxwell looked thoughtfully at the pair.  Expecting a thoroughly boring project analysis job, the presence of an attractive woman had come as an unexpected bonus, but he sensed that the relationship between the two was more than simply teacher and student.  "And you are, sir?"

"Aaron Greig.  Megalo-cynologist."

Maxwell stared blankly at him.  With a genius-level IQ, a PhD of his own, and multiple other degrees, admitting ignorance didn't come easily to him.  He waited for further elaboration from Greig, but was eventually forced to ask, "And that is?"

"Mega-dogs, Mr Maxwell.  I study the giant dogs.  They're my life."

Maxwell sat back in his chair.  "OK, so we have a mathematician, a mega-dog specialist and an expert in the hunting behaviour of animals.  Interesting."  He turned to the fourth and last person seated at the table.  "And that leaves you."

Middle-aged, balding and dressed in an expensive business suit, the object of his attention looked up from his phone.  "David Guerra.  Investment banker."

The others barely had time to absorb this before the door to the boardroom opened and a sprightly, elderly man bustled in.  "Ah, you're all here, excellent.  I do hope your flights were comfortable.  Would anybody like a drink?  I trust you've all introduced yourselves?  Yes, this is really excellent."  He beamed happily at them, and then smacked his forehead, in mock exasperation.  "Oh, look at me rabbiting on.  Here I am, speaking of introductions and I haven't even introduced myself.  Raymond Harris, at your service.  Delighted to meet you all, delighted."

Greig cleared his throat.  "Mr Harris, I think I can safely say we all know who you are.  What we'd like to know is, why are we here?"

"Ah, straight to the point, Dr Greig.  Of course, of course.  Well, that's rather a long story.  I suspect it may be easier if I show you my little project, rather than tell you about it."