The Seriously Long Jump

A/N:  One of my earlier efforts (and one of my favourites) this was the winning entry in a competition on the Science Fiction profile and went on to be performed in the Paragon Festival at The Otherworld Theatre Company, in Chicago (clickable link in the comments):-

https://www.facebook.com/OtherworldTheatre/videos/1657950334225956/

1500 words

"Good morning, viewers. I'm Mike Hyperion, welcoming you to the Pan-Galactic Network's exclusive coverage of day nine of the first ever Proximalympics. Joining me today in the central commentary box is Brian Calculus. Good morning, Brian."

"Morning, Mike. It's a real pleasure to be here, on what promises to be a super exciting day of competition."

"It sure does, Brian. And in a special treat for our Proxima B listeners, we also have Proximan sporting legend Lalwal Snurfsnurfnsnurf joining us today. Good morning, Lalwal."

"Ignorant humans! It will not be morning for another forty-seven of your Earth hours. Have you not adjusted your watches for Proximan time?"

"Well, Lalwal, Proximan days are so long I think I might need to adjust my calendar rather than my watch, ha-ha."

"Ha-ha. Good one, Mike. Well, whatever the time is, I'm sure we can all agree what a fabulous success these first ever Proximalympics have been. Two civilisations from two different solar systems, competing side by side in friendly galactic competition. It brings a tear to the eye, doesn't it, Lalwal?"

"Buffoon! Proximans do not have tears!"

"Oh, Lalwal, what a kidder. Yes, despite some minor interruptions from the Earth based protest group Independent Citizens Rallying Against Proxima-B, the Games have been truly wonderful and today promises to be no different. What's on the agenda, Brian?"

"Mike, first up today we have the long jump, and what an exciting event it should be. Let's hope those iCrap losers stay well away."

"Long jump, Brian? Exciting?"

"Yes, Mike, hard to believe, I know. But the Proximan version of the long jump has a few little interesting twists, which just might liven up what is traditionally the dullest of athletic events."

"Duller than the shot put, Brian?"

"Without a doubt, Mike. But not today. Lalwal, perhaps you can fill us in on the Proximan version of the long jump?"

"If you cease your endless human prattling I will comply. Observe the long jump track. Observe the launch ramp. Observe the anti-gravity device. Do you observe these things?"

"We sure do, Lalwal."

"Then even puny human brains should comprehend the difference from your so-called long jump. Earth long jump is metres. Proximan long jump is kilometres!"

"Well, I'll be. That does sound exciting. Thank you very much, Lalwal. And it looks as though our first competitor is making his way into the arena."

"Yes, Mike. First up we have a human competitor. This is Barnaby Koslowski, winner of the long jump gold medal at the last Earth Olympics. I'm sure he'll do the Earth proud."

"Okay, there's a real hush around the arena as Barnaby sets himself at the start line. And he's off, just look at that Earth boy move! Down the track, up the ramp and wow! What a jump! Out of the arena and judging by that trajectory, quite possibly out of the city. Looks like a clean jump but I suspect we'll be waiting a while for the distance."