Chapter Nine: Pretty Girls and Starting Conversations

Zelda took a deep breath. "So, Link. I wanted to ask you if you wanted to, you know, come with my friends and I to a play tommorow night. If you can, of course. You don't have to go, I just wanted to ask if you did care about going--How was that?"

Palutena applauded and Lucina nodded. "Now you just have to ask the actual person, not your mirror."

"Yeah," Palutena nodded. "I think you'll do just fine."

Zelda sighed. "I'm not sure about this, guys."

Lucina's eyes widened. "You're not chickening out, are you? Link's interested in you and you in him. How many times has that happened?!"

"You're right," Zelda stood straighter. "I'm going to ask him now."

"That's the spirit," Lucina called as Zelda slowly opened the door to her room. Zelda looked back at Lucina and Palutena. "Wish me luck."

Palutena shook her head and smiled. "You'll do great, Zelda!"

After the door closed behind the Hylian Princess, Palutena turned to Lucina. "She's going to embarrass herself isn't she?"

Lucina shrugged. "Hey, I know nothing about starting relationships. I just remember having a conversation with Inigo and then all the sudden he took my face and made me smile."

"What??"

"He said I looked sad. But then he made me mad after that."

"Relationship goals."

"Totally."

***

"What a pleasant suprise, Zelda!" Marth exclaimed when he opened his door to see Zelda on the other side.

Zelda smiled. "Do you mind if I come inside?"

Marth ushered her inside. "Not at all, not at all! Make yourself at home, this is your home anyways."

Zelda sat next to Link on a sofa in the living room of the apartment, taking him by suprise. Before Zelda came in he was tuning his guitar. Link quickly put the guitar back in the case and sat straighter.

Samus and Ike flopped down on the couch adjacent from Link's. Marth pulled up a chair and took a seat. "Is there anything you wanted to discuss or did you just wanted to spend quality time with us?" Samus asked with a smile.

"I guess both?" Zelda laughed. "I wanted to invite you four to come with Palutena, Pit, Lucina, Inigo, and I to a play tommorow night. Are you interested?"

"Yes!" Marth said a little to eagerly. "We would love to go with you guys!"

"What play are we watching?" Ike asked.

"Oh, it's a play about Hyrule's history," Zelda explained. "It has a lot of fiction put into it though. It's called the Legend of Zelda."

"Zelda?" Link asked.

Zelda smiled. "The person I'm named after."

"I've studied Hylian mythology before," Link started. "It states that a goddess named Hylia cast away her godly form and was born again as a mortal to save her people. She was called Zelda in her mortal form. After a turn of events she was cursed to be reborn to fight a nameless evil for eternity..."

Zelda nodded her head. "There was another who was cursed with her, but his name was lost in time and twilight it is said."

Link smiled at the princess. "So there is a possibility that you could indeed be the same Zelda."

The Crown Princess laughed. "I seriously doubt it. But I'm impressed with your knowledge on the subject."

Samus laughed. "That's our Link for you! What a precious little nerd!"

Link cracked up. "Normally I'd take that as an insult, but that was great."

"There's nothing wrong with being a nerd," Zelda giggled.

Marth got up from his chair. "Well, I should probably visit Lucina. She is my favorite cousin anyways. If you will excuse me."

"I promised Sammy I'd take her to see the gardens," Ike stood up with Samus. "Do you guys want to come with us?"

"No, but thank you," Zelda smiled. "I actually wanted to show Link something."

"You do?" Link asked enthusiastically.

"Yes. Follow me, please."

***

Link thought he was going to break his neck, at least injure it. He strained his neck as he tried to look at every inch of the huge library filled with hoards of books. "I never thought I'd see so many books in one place before..."

"I'm glad you like it," Zelda said happily as she led the way into the castle library.

"Like?" Link chuckled, "Like doesn't begin to describe it!"

Zelda smiled. "May I ask, what is your favorite genre to read?"

"I enjoy to read adventure," Link awnsered. "What do you like to read, Princess?"

"Adventure is a genre I like to read as well," Zelda nodded. "But my favorite genre is fantasy which is the same if you think about it."

Link smiled. "Fire breathing dragons, knights in shining armor saving beautiful princesses?"

Zelda returned his smile. "I actually prefer heros in green tunics to knights in shining armor."

"You'd be the first princess I heard of to say that," Link said in suprise.

"Thank you," Zelda laughed. "So you like fantasy? I think I know just the book. It's based on Hyrule's history, but I'm sure you wouldn't mind that at all."

Zelda started to walk up a staircase with Link not far behind her. They weaved through mazes of book cases until Zelda found the book she was looking for. She blew off the fine layer of dust on the thick book and handed it to Link. "It's all yours."

Link looked at the book in his hands. "You're giving this to me?"

The Crown Princess nodded.

"The Hero's Ballad," Link read the title of the book. "This sounds promising. He flipped through the pages and smiled. "Princess, this is amazing! How could I ever thank you enough?"

Zelda thought for a moment. "You said you're looking for a job, am I right?"

Link nodded. "Do you know where I can get one with what I majored in?"

Zelda smiled knowingly. "Yes. We are in need of a new Castle Historian. My old tutor, Auru, originally had that job, but he just retired not too long ago. Would you mind filling up that position for me? I hope I'm not asking too much. Link?"

The college graduate stood with his jaw wide open. He stood in astonishment at Zelda's offer. "N-no, Princess. I mean yes I will take the job and no its not too much! Thank you!"

"No, thank you, Link," Zelda smiled. "I never thought I would be able to find someone as knowledgeable to fill Auru's place."

"When do I start," Link asked.

"I was thinking after Marth left, since you're visiting with him. So in about a few weeks?"

"That's good with me."