Chapter Eleven: I Told You So

The sun was shining and the birds were singing. It was a beautiful fall day in Hyrule. The air had a sense of peace and tranquility. Leaves of every shade of gold and amber fell off their steams and floated down to the ground.

Palutena and Pit sat a table on a patio overlooking a garden at Hyrule Castle, sipping cups of herbal tea. "Why is this so bitter?" Pit spat. "Can't I drink a can of soda or something?"

"You could," Palutena smiled, "but I really don't want to babysit you when you're on a sugar high."

Pit sighed and took another sip of his tea. "You're right. Can you hand me the sugar?"

At that moment Zelda walked into the garden with Link not far behind her. She held two swords in her arms. One was a thin rapier and the other was a broadsword. It had been two days since the play and in those two days Zelda discovered that Link knew how to weild a sword. Such a coincidence. She knew how to use a sword too.

As a child, Zelda was taught the art of fencing. Turns out Link learned how to use a broadsword in his village. He claimed sometimes blood thirsty creatures would find themselves in the village with negative intentions. This was the exact reason why he also knew how to use a sling shot and a bow.

"Well you two look like you're going to have fun on this wonderful Friday morning," Palutena cracked a smile. "Just don't hurt each other too much."

"We won't," Zelda assured. "Link and I are very responsible when it comes to this subject. At least I know I am."

Link smiled. "I consider myself very responsible as well, Princess."

Zelda smiled. "That settles it then!"

Lucina and Inigo entered the garden as Zelda handed Link his broadsword. The Princess of Ylisse took a seat at Palutena's table with Pit, while Inigo pulled up a fourth chair at the crowded table.

"A broadsword against a rapier?" Inigo asked, looking impressed. "Are you sure about that, Zelda?"

"Rapiers are very useful, they are used for thrusting. I wouldn't underestimate their power, my dear Inigo," Lucina smiled slyly.

Inigo blushed. "Did you just call me dear?"

"I have no idea how you can flirt, but you can't take any compliments," Lucina laughed. "I guess that's one of the many reasons why I love you."

That made Inigo turn a deeper shade of pink.

It had been a while since Link used a sword. He would use a wooden sword to play "pirates" with the younger children. To say the least, Link was the "big brother" of Ordon Village.

Zelda looked confident how she held herself. The rapier was held tightly in her hands, her shoulders were relaxed, and she had a calm air about her. "Are we ready to start?" Zelda asked with a smile.

Link nodded. "I'm as ready as I'll ever be!"

The Crown Princess took a fighting stance and smirked. "Good. You'll need to be."

With that, there was a heavy sound of steel against steel. Link learned quickly that Lucina spoke the truth when she said not to underestimate a rapier. Especially the person who was wielding it. Zelda really knew how to use it. Fortunately, Link knew how to use a broadsword.

Link started on his offense right away, while Zelda used her defense. It was a smart idea of hers to try to tire Link out, though he knew better. The former ranch hand started to losen up on his offense and go for the defense.

"Getting tired yet, Princess," Link asked with a smirk.

Zelda smirked back. "Not at all. We're just getting started here!"

Link wasn't expecting that. Zelda was starting to use the energy that she had bottled up on her defense, taking Link by suprise...which made him lose his balance.

Pit made a face as Link fell to the ground. "Oh, ouch."

The smirk ran away from Zelda's face and a look of concern took its place. "Link? Are you alright?"

"I don't think he fell right," Inigo commented.

"Is there a right way to fall?!" Palutena asked hysterically.

Zelda kneeled to to the ground beside Link. He opened his eyes and laughed. "I think I underestimated you, Your Grace."

"I think you blacked out for a moment or two," Zelda replied. "Oh, wow. I don't think your foot is supposed to look like that..."

"Now that you mention it," Link winced, "It doesn't feel right either."

"Palutena, can you help me?" Zelda called to Palutena who was now standing from her seat, looking concerned at Link's injured foot.

Palutena nodded. "Of course. Pit, give us a hand please?"

"Way ahead of you," Pit replied as the three started to lift Link's right arm over his shoulder. Zelda took his other arm. Together, they started to limp forward.

"We should get him to the hospital wing," Zelda said.

"Can I help you?" Inigo asked.

Zelda smiled. "I think we will be fine, but thanks for asking."

After Pit, Palutena, Zelda, and Link left the garden for the hospital wing, Lucina flopped down in her chair. Inigo looked at her in curiosity as Lucina brought her hands to her temples. "I told him so, didn't I?"

"Told him what?" Inigo asked.

Lucina looked up at Inigo. "Never underestimate a very competitive princess."

"I think I've witnessed that first hand," Inigo laughed.

"I am NOT competitive!"