Chapter Twenty-Two: You're Going to Sing the Words Wrong

The day of Marth's "going away" party finally came. Not only were Marth, Ike, and Samus going back to Altea, but Link was going back to Ordon a failure. The only thing that mattered to him was making sure Ganondorf received justice for his treason. Link just needed to tell Zelda. That was the hard part.

Link followed his group a friends for most of the time. Marth didn't really enjoy the party. Both Marth and Link were anxious that at any moment Ganondorf could try something to stage an "accident" for Zelda.

It occurred to Link that he hadn't seen Zelda at all that night and he started to get even more anxious.

"Have you seen Zelda yet?" Link asked as he walked up to Marth who was taking a sip of a cup of punch.

The Altean Prince shook his head. "I think she's coming fashionably late."

"Do you think she's okay?"

"Most likely."

Palutena walked up behind Link and patted his shoulder. "Don't worry, Link. Zelda's going to be coming soon. Just relax while you still can."

"That was worded a little weird, but I guess you're right," Link sighed. He walked away from Palutena and Marth to go grab a cup of water at the refreshment table when he ran into Ganondorf.

"Why if it isn't Link," Ganondorf flashed a smile. "I was hoping I could talk with you tonight."

Link's heart started to beat faster than usual. He forced a smile. "Hello, Prince Ganondorf. What did you want to discuss?"

Almost immediately, Ganondorf's expression changed to a scowl and he lowered his voice an octave. "I don't know what you and you're little friends are planning, but I don't like it one bit."

Link continued to smile. "I could say the same about you."

"Get in my way and I'll have to make you disappear," the Desert Prince threatened.

"Are you a magician?" Link asked.

Ganondorf ignored Link's last remark and started to walk away. "Don't get in my way."

***

Finally, for what seemed like forever, Zelda made her appearance at the party. Link mentally breathed a sigh of relief. Although, Link's heart skipped a beat when he realized he would have to confront her.

As always, Link thought Zelda looked absolutely stunning. She wore a white dress with a purple overskirt. A belt imblazed with the Royal Family's crest hung from her hips and a golden crown was resting on her brow. Zelda was wearing a traditional Hylian dress.

The Crown Princess smiled warmly at the crowd of people who had attended the party. To Link her smile looked a little bitter-sweet. She was saying goodbye to a few of her best friends tonight. That's what Link concluded the reason for Zelda's sad smile. But he didn't realize that she mourned for much more. More than a few friends leaving for a while, but for a lost friend. But the proper term Zelda was thinking of was "more than a friend," not just a "lost friend."

Eventually, Link was able to find Zelda unoccupied at the moment. "Princess," Link addressed her, "I wanted to talk to you about something."

Zelda's expression became sour. "And what is it that you wanted to discuss?"

Link lowered his voice to a whisper. "Zelda, it my be a suprise to you but I discovered a plot on your life. If you'd allow me to explain--"

"I think I've heard enough of your lies," Zelda stated. "What makes you think I'd believe something like that?"

"You don't get it," Link said desperatly, "Ganondorf Dragmire was planning on poisoning you with Skulltula venom."

Zelda sighed. "Link, I know Ganondorf and I don't get along, but he would never do something as stupid as that. SeSecond of all, you should know that you don't have my trust anymore."

"But you have ours."

Link and Zelda turned around to see Marth, Ike, Samus, Palutena, Pit, Lucina, and Inigo behind them. The thought that all of his friends came to back him up made Link feel warm inside. He took that moment to pull out Ganondorf's vile of Skulltula venom from his pocket and put it in Zelda's hand. "Is this proof sufficient?"

"It sure is," said Ganondorf as he walked towards Link and Zelda. The ballroom became silent with interest as the whole scene started to unfold.

Ganondorf took the vile out of Zelda's hand and held it above his head so everyone could see. "This radical coward of a man, Link Ordon, attempted to murder our beloved princess put of cold blood!"

A collective gasp rose from the crowd of people. A group of gaurds started to make their way towards Link to seize him, but before they could Ike stepped forward.

"Ganondorf Dragmire," Ike started, "Before we jump to conclusions I have one more piece of evidence."

Ike pulled out his phone and started playing a recording. It was Ganondorf's gruff voice on the recording saying: "It would of been disastrous if Prince Marth found out about our plans. He was starting to become curious about what I had in my hand. Seeing how close he is to Zelda, he would fight tooth and nail to make if he discovered the plot against her life."

Ganondorf's face turned red as Ike played the recording a second time. All eyes in the room were glued on him. Like the guilty man he was, he had no words to defend himself.

"Well that's that. Guards, seize this man," Zelda commanded and the guards came forward and handcuffed Ganondorf. That command was the first one in a long list of orders that night.