Chapter Seventeen: Eavesdropper

By the end of their stay at Snowpeak, Link was able to successfully snowboard down the small slope where he would practice. With the help of Zelda, of course.

To Link's suprise, he was sad to leave the cold summit. It had been so much fun to hang out with Zelda and the rest of the group. But it was also nice to be back at Hyrule Castle where it was warm and where a blizzard wouldn't blow you off the face of the planet. Anyways, it was nice to be back.

For the rest of the day, Zelda had to meet with Ganondorf Dragmire. He had returned to the Gerudo Desert for a little bit, but then promptly returned to discuss the subject of trade with the Hylian Princess.

So for the rest of the day Link spent his time in the quiet library that Zelda had brought him to a week or so ago. When he finally lifted his nose out of a book and looked outside, Link saw the moon high in the navy blue sky that was scattered with twinkling stars.

Tired and exhausted, Link left the library and trekked down the hallway to his room. He realized he hadn't seen Zelda since they returned from Snowpeak. That's when she met with the Gerudo Prince.

I'll try to meet up with her first thing in the morning, Link thought to himself and shrugged. Link stopped in front of his door. Zelda seemed to occupy most of Link's thoughts lately. The deal before he finally decided the reason why. He was in love with the Crown Princess. How did he get himself into this? One word: desperation.

Link hesitated to open his door. He finally made up his mind to go talk with Marth about everything. About how he was in love and wrong, Marth was right, and that he didn't want his money anymore. He just wanted to be Zelda's lefthand man. Link was Zelda's companion by his own will.

Quickly, Link started to jog down the hall towards Marth's guestroom. But he stopped in his tracks when he heard a hushed conversation from around the corner.

"Forget about payment for the venom, Lord Ganondorf," A snake-like voice said in a low tone. "It is my pleasure to serve you. Mr. T doesn't want any payment for it."

Mr. T?! Link rapidly thought. Oh, wait. He must be talking about that "Tingle" guy that mugged me. What does he have to do with Ganondorf Dragmire?

Link heard Ganondorf chuckle darkly. "That's always nice to hear, Ghirahim. Very nice."

"My loyalty and Zant's loyalty has never wavered," The person by the name of Ghirahim assured.

The names Ghirahim and Zant sound familiar, Link thought, eavesdropping on every word that came out of the conversation that was meant to be secret. Those are the names of Tingle's henchmen that mugged me! It sounds like they're actually Ganondorf's henchmen though.

"So how are we planning to carry it out?" Ghirahim asked.

"Skulltula poison has no taste or smell," Ganondorf thought put loud. "If we were to drop a few ounces in Her Majesty's dinner, she would be dead before desert."

"Brilliant, I say! Brilliant!!" Ghirahim applauded.

"Not so loud, Ghirahim!"

"Sorry."

That's when Link thought it would be such a fun idea to sneeze... and it was loud. Very loud.

"What was that?" Ganondorf asked after a long silence.

Ghirahim didn't answer. Henceforth, another era of silence continued. If Link was going to get to Marth's room and not look suspicious, he was going to turn the corner about now.

"Hi guys!" Link greeted. "Did you hear that loud noise? It sounded like an explosion or something. Maybe that angel guy, Pit, did something weird again. You never know. Pit is a weird guy."

Ghirahim glared at Link. "Do I know you?"

"I don't know?" Link lied. He turned to Ganondorf. "How are you doing Mr. Dragmire? I haven't seen Princess Zelda yet. Did your meeting go well?"

"Quite well," Ganondorf said through clenched teeth. The guy was terrible at trying to smile like a normal person.

"That's good," Link laughed. "I'll see you guys around."

The former ranch hand continued down the hallway, whistling a horse calling song as he went.

"Who is that guy?" Ghirahim scowled.

Ganondorf returned the same scowl. "His name is Link. He's very close to the Princess for all I know."

"Do you think he heard us?"

"Eavesdropping? Of course he did. I knew from the first moment I met him he was going to get in my way."

"That never happens."

"I know," Ganondorf agreed. "We should follow him."

Ghirahim nodded and followed Ganondorf Dragmire as he strode down the hall in Link's direction.