Istikhara

You probably think you can drive. So did I. We all do. So we foolishly try to take the steering wheel of our lives. And then as a result, we crash over and over. Because the truth is none of us know how to drive... My people, so many of us misunderstand istikhara. It's not about seeing a sign or a dream or even necessarily having a feeling about something. Although, any of these may occur. Istikhara is about letting go of the steering wheel. It's about admitting to yourself and God that you don't know the Unseen, and that you are not able to make things happen in the best way. It is the acknowledgement that God does know the Unseen, and God is able to make everything happen, in the best way. Istikhara is getting out of the driver's seat and asking God to take over the steering wheel of your life, and the decisions you're making.
It is asking Allah to steer and do what's best for you, in this life and the next.

Istikhara is a protection. There are so many times when we are set on a course that is destructive. Istikhara doesn't allow that course to occur. And after istikhara, any course that does occur is for our best--even if it bring about pain. 

Many people get confused. They wonder why a marriage failed or a job fell apart if they prayed istikhara. But Istikhara doesn't promise a painless path. It promises what's best in the end. Sometimes that 'road to what's best' is windy. Sometimes it's covered with thorns. 

But always, always, in the end, the destination is where you're meant to be. Where you're meant to fulfill your highest destiny and purpose. 

Be careful not to rely on yourself as you navigate through life and make decisions. Be very careful to always, always rely on God. Because every single one of us is blind.

And we don't know how to drive.

~Yasmin Mogahed