Part 11 - Life Purpose

After finding out we shared the same roots, Levi was thinking a lot about what I had told him. He remembered the child he bestowed the weapon to, and he remembered telling me to be his ally should I live. And there I was in front of him, alive and grown up. His mind was clouded. It was exactly what he didn't need just days before an expedition outside the walls.

I can't have these feelings now.

The familiar rush of having a companion was returning to Levi, but after what happened to Isabel and Farlan, he didn't want history to repeat itself. Not again.

Humanity was being torn apart at his doorstep and Levi was, first and foremost, a soldier. He had sworn to give his life to the cause. But even if all that didn't matter, Levi now knew he held a great power over me - and he didn't take that lightly. Being distracted by him on the expedition could easily lead me to die and he knew it. Levi made a decision; he'd watch me from afar, keep me alive as best he could just as he did with the other soldiers.

If (Y/N) believes there's nothing to pursue with me, perhaps she'll move on.

"Captain Levi."

"Petra. Did Jaeger finish upstairs yet?"

"I think he's just finishing up. He seems like a good kid, don't you think?"

"That remains to be seen. We don't know how he might react during the expedition. Nevertheless, his life is significant and we protect it with our own, someone with his power can't end up as titan chow."

"Yes, Sir. With my life, I'll see to it that Eren lives. Now enough business, we still have today right? I think everyone is done cleaning so we should have a squad get together, it would be nice for the new members to get to know us better."

"I'll decide when this place can be called 'clean'. Have you seen these brats rooms? They're disgusting. It's sickening just to think about all those juvenile germs lingering around on everything."

"I hope they meet your standards before sundown, that way we can sit outside before it gets cold."

"Cleanliness comes first, Petra."

"Of course, Captain!"

~~~~~

Ymir was still slacking off in Christa's room, I doubted I'd see her until midnight when the cleaning was done. Three knocks on my door halted my aggressive scrubbing of the window sill, when I looked back I noticed I'd started to tarnish the shine of the wood a little. Clean enough.

I dropped the sponge hastily to open my bedroom door, some small part of me thought Levi might be standing there.

"(Y/N)- hey are you okay?"

"Eren, um-yeah. Yeah I'm fine. What is it?"

"Captain Levi is gathering the squad, we should hang out and get to know them better before the expedition."

"Right.."

...

My hand was wrapped around the edge of the door frame to keep it held open, my finger tapped against the cold wood while I thought.

"Hey, Eren."

"Yeah?"

"Why am I here? I mean, I wasn't the best in class by far, Mikasa undoubtedly would have been a better option. So why am I on the Special Ops squad? It doesn't make any sense, am I just a rookie being sent to my death? I don't understand it Eren, I don't. I just-"

"(Y/N) breathe! Calm down okay? You're a good soldier, Erwin must have seen your potential and decided you'd be useful to the squad. But if you don't believe me you should just ask Captain Levi."