Part 4 - What the Captain Doesn't Know

A/N - I'm not strictly following the plot of aot I'm just kind of doing my own thing, although there will be some things that line up with the plot of the anime/manga. :)

(Y/N)'s POV:

"By the way, Ymir I forgot to mention - thanks for helping me out with Jean yesterday." I tease while we sit down for lunch with our trays of bland food. It's mostly bread and potatoes they feed us - cheap and filling.

Ymir only smirked. Despite our constant bickering I was closer to her than anyone. She was basically my only family - families bicker, right? That's probably why we spent so much time rubbing each other the wrong way. To be honest it's mostly her doing what she can to get me irate for her own entertainment - the little shit she is. 

Regardless, she knew everything about my past, and I knew a lot about hers too.

Although I understood that, in Ymir's eyes, her love for Christa came first before her bond with me, if there was anyone left in this world I would call 'family', Ymir was it.

Levi's POV:

I walk into the mess hall and as usual I feel (L/N)'s eyes on me when my back is turned.

Does she honestly think I don't notice how she watches me so carefully when I look away? 

That look she had when I first saw her in the court hearing, I thought for sure I must have resembled some dead relative of hers from the way she looked at me. (Y/N) leaned tensely over the barrier mouth agape and eyes thick with anguish. Since then, whenever I'm around, her eyes are on me constantly. Lately her wide eyed stare has me so distracted. Shitty brat, I ought to start charging for how much she stares at me.

When my tea is ready I carefully lift the warm cup by the rim with my fingertips and turn to leave the kitchen. (F/N) immediately looks away from me and stares deadpan at the wall in front of her, zoning out.

Why does she behave like such a vacant shit. It seems like she's not even there, she's never paying attention to what's going on around her.

"Heeyy Levi!!"

"What is it, Four Eyes?" 

Hanji foolishly ran to me and practically leaped onto the bench, almost falling over in the process. She pouted at the greeting I gave her.

"Auw soo mean! Hey I heard you got floored by a Cadet yesterday, so spill it who was the one to take down humanities strongest??"

"I wasn't the one being floored, but I assume you're referring to Cadet (L/N)." I answer dully, taking a sip of my tea.

My mind wanders back to when we fought in training the other day. Either those shitty Cadets have been spreading rumours about mine and (Y/N)'s fight, or Hanji saw us and is bullshitting in some attempt to poke at me. Hanji's annoying smirk tells me it's probably the latter.

"Oh I see! Isn't she the Cadet who had that fling with the titan-shifter boy last fall?"

"How should I know?"

Come to think of it she does hang around Jaeger a lot, but not nearly as much as the tall lesbian.

"When she joined the Scouts, Erwin mentioned she had an interesting file..." Hanji says.

I look Hanji in the eye for the first time during our discussion, she doesn't look back at me but stares into space, apparently deep in thought. I get the feeling I'll be seeing more of (Y/N) from the interest Hanji and Erwin seem to have in her.