Part 32 - Alone

A/N - I've been the worst author ever and if you've stuck around to read this thank you so much. I'm trying to get back into writing more regularly, I hope the next chapter will be up next week.

Lonely... Again...

There was a time when I loved nothing more than to be alone and enjoy my own company. But now I found myself to be a person I didn't even know anymore. I wondered why I would ever want to be alone, when I am enveloped on all sides by so many kind people.

A burning resided in my chest. A warm butterfly feeling that kept me from drifting into slumber; even with all I had grown to be, there was still someone that made me weak and crumble before them with just a word.

This feeling had lit in my chest just a few hours before and, as with most mischievous things, it started with Hanji Zoe...

I was sitting in the cell stricken with the overwhelming boredom that it forced on me. It was definitely past nightfall and nobody had come to visit me that day, making me all the more restless.

I was scratching lines into the brick wall with a tiny piece of loose scrap metal when the sound of clinking keys caught my attention. I sat up on my mattress, squinted at the dim lit staircase outside my cell and shuffled closer to the bars to better see what was coming.

A figure began to take shape in the shadows, normal in stature and a glint in their eyes, I wasn't sure whether to be excited or worried. Out of nowhere the person dived forward and clanged their hands against the bars of my cell, the sheer fright sent me falling back onto my butt with a suppressed shriek.

"Sorry, did I scare you?"

The familiar messy ponytail and square glasses greeted me kindly and I thanked my lucky stars it wasn't some psycho intruder come to finally kill me.

"Captain Hanji?"

"Indeed it is I, come to save the fair maiden from this cruel tower."

"I'm in the dungeons, not a tower."

She flicked her ponytail happily and began flipping through the ring of keys she held one at a time.

"Yes well, what's the difference really."

"Hanji I know you're a section commander and all, but you could still get in a lot of trouble for being down here at this time. What are you doing?"

She giggled and my eyes fell to her fingers which continued sorting through each of the rusty keys. I sighed and rested my forehead against my fist.

"Please don't tell me it has something to do with those keys."

After finding a key that was to her liking she whispered a quiet victory and turned to me.

"I'm so glad you asked." She chuckled, extending her arms in front of her and wobbling her fingers around. Her head tilted back and her face turned rosy, she looked like she might drool.

"The girl locked up and facing death, the cold hearted man finally falling for her. It's poetic!"

Through half closed lids I stared at the woman blankly. She always was an odd ball.

"I can't say I'm following you."

"Who am I to stand in the way of their final meeting? That took guts what you did out there in the battle kiddo, now how's about one more time breaking the rules before you go?"

Hanji jammed the key into the lock of my cell and with a reluctant clank the door opened. My eyes clung to her, not quite sure if they were dreaming or not, either way I wasn't going to stop and ask.