Part 5 - Broken

(Y/N)'s POV:

After arriving at the Corporals office 3 minutes early, I stand in front of his door nervously awaiting the 15 minute mark to come. Just before 15 minutes passes, I take a deep encouraging breath in... and out...

*Knock Knock Knock*

"Name and business." Levi's dry voice echoes in the room.

"It's Cadet (L/N), Sir. You sai-"

"Come in."

Normally the sight of Levi sitting behind his desk doing paperwork would make me feel comforted, but right now my palms are getting kind of clammy. His uniform is clean and freshly pressed. He must have changed immediately after I spilled tea on him, I don't know why I'd expect any less.

Levi doesn't look at me when I enter so I walk into the middle of the room and stand in a salute.

He waves a hand at me to relax, my arms drop to my sides and I wait for his lecture. I seem to be on Levi's shit list, out of all my comrades he dislikes me the most, hell if I know why. Whenever I step out of line I almost always get a talking to about how a soldier should really behave; and that time in training when he told me to be his hand-to-hand combat partner, I thought for sure I must be dreaming.

I pay close attention again when Levi stands from his chair. He walks around to the front of his desk and leans back on it with folded arms. No doubt he's about to give me a ton of cleaning and laps to keep me busy and damn near dead by the end of the week.

"Sir, I'm truly apologetic for s-"

"Enough."

"..."

Levi cut of my dull, half-assed apology I always laid him with and followed up with something that caught me so off guard I experienced something almost alien. I stuttered over my own words. 

"Why do you watch me?" Levi says, eyeing me intensely.

My usual somber face heats up instantly. I'm completely dumbstruck by his question, I thought he had no idea.

"Oh..I, um. I was just..."

Living in the Underground you tend to develop a keen silver-tongue, a way with words that gets you exactly what you want, when you want; whether it be cheap prices on goods or escaping from a risky situation. I often always knew where a conversation was going, simply because it was going where I wanted it to; but in that moment, Levi completely floored me with just a simple question.

"Tch. You really are a pathetic brat. You sit with your vacant expression oblivious to your surroundings and expect everyone else to stick their neck out for you. That kind of behaviour will get you killed on your first mission, and not just you but you're comrades. I'll never understand why you thought you were cut out for the Scouts. Your weakness among the rest is painfully obvious."

My immature blush disappeared from my face. The strangest feeling filled my body that I couldn't quite explain. Why is Levi saying this to me? Even for Levi this seemed a tad hard hitting, was he testing me? Poking to see what my limit was before I broke entirely under his cruel words? My lack of response told Levi he was off-base with his attempt at rousing a reaction from me, and so he continued.

"And the way you stare at me. Whatever dead father or brother you think I resemble, I'm not it. Pull yourself together and let go of such childish tendencies, it really is pathetic to see. The people here have lost everything, so don't for a second think you're some hard done by victim we should have pity for because trust me, Nameless Cadet, in here you're nothing special. Maybe find a new hobby that isn't gawking foolishly at your superior all the god damn time. I don't know what idiotic feelings you hold for me but I suggest you lose them - because you're a fucking Cadet, and I've no time for it."