Part 28 - Ymir

My face felt suddenly wet, and it was only then I realised that I was crying.

"God damn it."

The guilt in my stomach was painful, but I had to

As I approached Ymir she gave me an angry titan glare and screamed in disapproval of my stupidity.

"Don't you fucking start now."

I shot an anchor into her shoulder and perched myself there, gripping her long strands of hair for stability. She vocally protested and even attempted to grab me in her hand. I avoided her reach, and kicked her in the back of the head to which she only growled.

"Stop it. I'm here now, no point throwing me away. I don't know how much you're hiding Ymir, but you should damn well know by now I wouldn't leave you here by yourself."

With a huff she continued to run, curving herself in the direction of the hundreds of horses which ran from us.

"Don't lead Reiner towards the Scouts, it would be a massacre. Let's see who they want more; you, or Eren."

With a glance over her shoulder at me Ymir began to head West, entirely opposite to where the Levi, Eren and the rest of the Scouts were heading. The Armoured kept on course for the two of us and I  nodded my head in approval. He wasn't so far behind us now, close enough for me to reach him with 3DMG if I wanted.

The whooshing sound of a flare caught my ear, the trail of green that flew high into the sky made me question what was going on. When I attempted to pick out who among the retreating Scouts had shot the flare in the first place, I saw none other than Levi himself with his arm in the air, a firm grip on the small gun he held above him. Upon reading the signal, the mass of soldiers turned and began to gallop towards us again from the East.

What is happening?

Ymir grunted and shook her head, warranting my attention. What I saw before me made the very colour drain from my face.

I'm such a fool.

In front of us, coming from the West, was Commander Erwin.

So the Commander is here.

The remaining force of the Scouting Legion followed him, and chasing behind the soldiers... A dozen more wild titans. Ymir, myself and the Armoured titan had found ourselves sandwiched between two groups of the best soldiers humanity had to offer.

And I realised Levi had known this plan all along.

Levi knew Commander Erwin would show up, and that the Scouts never intended to retreat. They were coming back for Reiner, and in doing so they'd be able to save Ymir.

He didn't tell me because he wanted to know if, in my heart, I truly would have had enough trust to stay with him just because he asked me to...

What have I done?

I fell to one knee and glanced at Levi from my spot on Ymir's shoulder. His face held no emotion.

I wanted to collapse and wonder if I'd ruined everything, but I decided to use the gear to fling myself at the Armoured instead. I went for the same vulnerable spot on the back of his knee, as I did so Levi's words echoed in my mind.

"If you do this, (Y/N), I won't so easily forgive you for it."

The entire battle was a blur to me. Attempts at taking down the Armoured failed, the Commander lost his arm, and after too many lives had been lost to the dozens of scavenging titans which plagued the scene, we were ordered to retreat.