Part 34- Underground City Rescue

A/N- if you're still around for this, you're a more patient person than I am. I know the story is on hiatus, but I decided to write this anyway.

The carriage tottered along at a steady pace, bumping and juttering us every so often as the roads continued to further deteriorate in their structure the closer we got to our destination. I was apprehensive and wondered if Levi could tell, his silver gaze watched me closely- assessing me. He was trying to figure me out, looking for the slightest tell in my features that would inform him how I felt about all this. I brushed off his steel gaze and believed I could keep my emotions in check, as always.

My thumbs fidgeted against one another when recognizable streets came into view from the carriage window, sparking memories of the lonely life I endured when passing through these parts years ago. Levi quickly took notice of my tick and held my hand in his to settle my nerves, I met his gaze with a look of thanks and turned again to the window.

Calm down.

I needn't worry so much, we'd be in -rescue Eren and Historia- and out. That was if all went to plan. I scolded myself for being anxious; it's a mission like any other. That's what I kept telling myself.

I flinched when the carriage came to a halt indicating we had reached our destination, Levi stepped out first and offered me his hand which I gratefully took. The horseman looked at us suspiciously but Levi merely dismissed him, telling him to be back here for pick-up in six hours time.

Only six hours, I'm sure I can manage that.

We stood before the gaping hole in the concrete wall which marked the entrance to the place I swore I'd never return to. I had no choice, my friends were down there- I knew Eren would be waiting for me to save him. Then again maybe he doubted I would show myself again in such a place, even if it was to retrieve him. Or maybe he thought I had already been executed.

Stepping over the boundary, a long cave took us to a set of high stairs leading downward and soon the light of the upper world was lost from sight. Little sunlight ever graced the walls of the Underground, I had grown so accustomed to the light above ground that a sickening nostalgia swirled in my stomach when we were plunged into the recognizable gloom of the city. I grew up in this place, despite my hatred for it's sinister dark alleys and loathsome population- this was my motherland.

Levi and I walked through the dirt and appeared as two birds returning to the nest from which we came- only this was a place the two of us were extremely lucky to fly from. As we ventured closer to the famous gates which few had the authority to pass, the faint, familiar smell crept to my nostrils. Blood, sewage, death. My boots planted firm into the dirt, refusing to make another step no matter how much I willed them to. Levi saw the rare glint of fear in my eye and I wondered if he felt the same as I did.

"Levi, I don't want to go back there..."

I hadn't spoken a word since we entered the carriage that morning, Levi worried for my mental state in coming here and his uncertainties had proven true. It was too late for us to turn back; Eren and Historia had to leave this place today. We were already unsure if they were still alive and time was of the absolute essence. Levi pulled me aside and we were hidden in the dark shade of the rock, resting his forehead against mine he held my eyes with a look of such compassion I couldn't break away from.

"Don't leave my side. You have nothing to fear when you stand next to me."

Levi lifted my chin with his thumb and my eyes instinctively closed as our lips met for a chaste kiss. I was weak in the mind but Levi was my cornerstone, he held me up when I was unable to stand alone and I thanked him for it. My surroundings became a blur from his touch, all I felt was Levi- as our reassuring kiss came to an end, the city smell stung my nostrils once more and forced me to part from him. He understood the weight of our situation and continued to whisper words of encouragement to me.