Chapter 10

The morning sun soaked into the land warming it to a glorious heat. For the first time in a very long time we were having breakfast together as a family. Kayla had managed to not get food everywhere and was using her spoon reasonably well. Sid was in a good mood; we had spent a fair majority of the night discussing how we were going to change the way we were going to live our lives. He was going to spend an hour down there after it opened of a night, ensuring that everyone was doing things the way they should be and then he was going to trust his duty manager and not return until closing time. I didn't want to push him into anything, he seemed willing to alter things enough to make a difference. Seeing the way, he is with Dylan this morning, I'm figuring he wants this change. He misses the kids, they are growing up so fast and he isn't seeing it.

Sid was right, things had been turning very werewolf in recent days, even weeks. Dylan loved to run in the forest, he turned with ease and didn't fear it like I did. It was something that he was unable to share with his father and I could see now how much it hurt Sid not to have that with him. He had to reach out to the vampire in Dylan and bring him to the surface, then he would have something to bond and talk about with his son. And then there was Kayla. She was so grizzly; I couldn't figure out what her problem was. I would check her mouth to see if she was teething but nothing was showing. She would chew on my home made jerky rusks and the teething rings, gumming them to death. I was sure she going to push through a tooth any day now but still they held back causing all sorts of hell for Kayla. She was clingy, always wanting to be in my arms when she was in a bad mood. And that meant she refused to go to Sid which meant there was another child he barely knew. I didn't know what to do to alter the situation. With time the teething would settle down for Kayla and she might be better with her father. If he sat down with Dylan once in a while, he might be able to find something to bond with him. But this was dependent on Sid actually doing these things. Would he actually heed my words and reach out to the vampire in his son? As I sat at the table watching the children eat, I looked at Sid, his mind was elsewhere. I wondered what his relationship with his father was like. He never spoke about him, the only time he had ever said anything was the night that Dylan was born when we discussed names. I got the distinct impression things had not been good. It was probably a very big contributing factor as to why Sid knew little about being a father.

"Morning all." Phil walks out onto the deck "I've checked out those that have been refused, there isn't anyone that has a reason. They've all found packs that have taken them in and are fine where they are."

"And the girl?"

"She's in a coven two towns over. Stuart spoke with the master and he said she's like any other person, living her life, she has a job." he shrugged "I don't know what else to tell you. Everyone checks out."

Sid collected the dishes and wandered into the house.

"Tell Stuart to keep an eye on her."

"Will do. Any thoughts on anyone else?"

"What about Noah?"

"Yeah Stuart checked into him as well, the master said he has been behaving himself, now that Julius is dead he was able to divorce that woman, has himself a girlfriend. He knew about the party that Noah was on his way to, confirmed the story to be true. That one road is the best access to the town, it was sheer luck that he was there for you. I believe that he was telling us the truth, his master has confirmed it. I checked the map, there are a few roads that will connect but many are far out of the way, one is a dirt track that I know I wouldn't use. If it were me, I would have used that road, it is the shortest route and he would have been in the radius for no more than five minutes in terrible traffic. Add to that he was just on the border of that radius, he wasn't even headed in the direction of the club."