Prologue - Mrs. Filomino

Doubt is often the beginning of wisdom.

--- M. Scott Peck

Doubt was a constant companion in my life. I hated it, tried to cast it aside, but remained in me. It was a nightmare that made me restless. For years I found it hard to live an ordinary life, the kind of life I had dreamed of since I could remember.

I must admit that when I decided to end it all, I was thinking mostly about the peace of mind I would achieve. I wanted to get rid of the doubts, the questions, because I thought ultimately, these things would kill me.

It couldn't call it a spur of the moment thing, ending my life. It was not a well-thought out plan, too, I guess. I thought about the decision I made for a couple of days, ever since I received that note from Gracia Lopez, telling me she knew my secret. Back then I didn't know it was she who sent me the note. It wouldn't have made much difference. I thought then, it all boiled down to one thing---everything I worked hard for and valued so much was ruined completely.

I was terrified. But interesting enough, I had never felt braver my whole life. It was a mixture of every emotion and every thought that passed through me for years that made me do it.

Whoever lived on Earth that didn't have doubts?

Now, everyone in Sweet Homes Residential Community doubted everyone around. Gracia Lopez was murdered and now they doubted the safety of Sweet Homes. Because of this, the president of Sweet Homes Home Owners' Association requested for extra security guards.

Most residents thought it was enough. Dalawang bahay ang agad na nabakante sa Dark Chocolate Street, ang bahay ng mag-asawang matandang Polario---na kapwa natakot sa pangyayari, at ang bahay ni Gracia Lopez. Mister Polario managed to sell his house to his lawyer, Attorney Seymour Villavicencio. Ang bahay naman ni Gracia Lopez ay hindi pa napagdedesisyunan ng kapatid nito kung ano ang gagawin.

Natapos nang mag-imbestiga doon ang mga pulis at napag-alaman ng mga ito na doon sa bahay na iyon pinaslang si Gracia. May mga natuyong dugo sa ilang parte ng kusina, nakita rin ang rolling pin na ipinampatay kay Gracia sa loob ng sasakyan nito. Gayunman, walang nakitang fingerprints o kahit na anong makapagtuturo sa kung sino ang mastermind ng krimen.

Walang nakakita sa kapatid ni Gracia nang magpunta ito sa Sweet Homes. Direkta itong nakipag-usap sa pulis at isang araw ay nagkulong sa bahay ni Gracia at ang ilang naglakas-loob na makiramay ay ni hindi nito pinagbuksan ng pinto. Kinabukasan na lamang ay nakita ng mga residente ang isang malaking truck na hinahakot ang lahat ng gamit ni Gracia. Isang katiwala lang ng kapatid ni Gracia ang umaayos ng lahat doon.

Isa iyong bagay na hindi na pinansin ng mga residente. No one nosed around much in Sweet Homes, except for Gracia. But now she was dead. Murdered by my husband. Murdered for she knew my secret.

Armado, an intelligent man, was aware of the possibility that someone might link him to Gracia's death so he planted some evidence against an innocent man. He felt guilty for having done that but it was something he must do. Gracia's jewelries were at the moment inside a neighbor's toolbox, only waiting to be discovered.

Armado could now see the mistake he made killing Gracia. For now he did not know how she knew about my secret. It was making his head ache at night. His guilt was killing him. And his doubts were driving him insane. The only thing he could do was visit a man he went to whenever he felt like the whole world was crashing down on him.

His visits always managed to calm him down.

The ladies who used to have afternoon talks with me---Jaye, Shelley, and Alexandra, were now in Alexandra's porch, talking about Gracia. These ladies saw the blackmail note Gracia sent to me, although they had no idea it came from Gracia.

Shelley, who had a gut feeling my husband had something to do with Gracia's death told the two about her suspicion. The two just shook their heads, saying Shelley had probably read too many Nancy Drew books.

If only the two would stop for a while and listen to her, maybe they'd find a loose thread they could pull and this whole thing might unravel. Of course, that's the last thing I want.

The Pandora's box should remain closed forever.

Even though my daughter Isabella would do everything to open it.