Dark

I remember clearly the endless nights I would spend in my room, with all the lights off, just sitting in a corner.

I would do this to block out the sounds of the ghosts in our house that I could hear everywhere. I could hear their voices and the pain. I would just sit in my room with no lights on and just sing myself to sleep or just gaze out of my window at the stars.

Some nights doing those things blocked out the ghosts. But other times, not so much.

I never saw the ghosts, but I always felt as if some were right in my room. Just watching me. I never really tried paying too much attention to them. I didn't want them to know that I could see them. I was already scared of them enough. No telling what they would do to me if they knew about me seeing them.

Although, one night, when I was just ten. I was huddled in a corner of my room singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to myself as I suddenly hear the door creak open and my head snaps in its direction.

I couldn't see much but I heard footsteps- tiny ones- approaching me. Slowly.

"My name is Bradley. What's yours?" I hear a boy about my age it sounds like say.

I run to my lights before he could ask more questions.

As soon as I turn the lights on I snap my head in the direction of the voice and see a boy about my age standing by the corner I was just in.

He had messy brown hair and deep blue eyes. So deep you could almost see the pain in them. He looked more human than any of the other ghosts I've seen. He has a few bruises here and there but no missing limbs or eyes.

I try avoiding the boy as though I can't see him and go to my bed, leaving thr light on, and hop into my bed.

I can still feel the boys gaze on me as I close my eyes.

"I know you can see me. You can see us." The boy says. I open my eyes and he is now at my face.

"H-How do you know?" I ask him.

"I was here one night when I heard your mom on the phone with someone talking about what's wrong with you. How you can see others she can't. So I thought I'd see if you could see me."

I sigh and get out from under the covers.

"To answer your question earlier. My name is Avery. And yes, I can see you. What happened to you?" I ask, a little dissapointed that my condition was known about by a ghost.

He squirms a little before answering.

"My mom was a drunk." He answers and I stay silent for a moment.

"I'm sorry..." I say as I plop down next to the boy on the floor.

👻👻👻👻

Every night Bradley would talk to me in my room. I left the lights on everytime too. No longer scared of the voices downstairs and the ghosts.

"Goodnight Avery." Bradley says as he leaves. I smile and say goodnight to him too.

And that's when the nightmares started.

-

I was in a house that looked somewhat like ours. No. Was ours.

I hear a smacking sound and walk to where it is coming from.

"Bradley? Is that you? Mom?" I question as I approach my door. I slowly open the door.

I come to a sight of a grown woman hitting Bradley and I run over in between them.

"Stop!" I yell, but she hits him and her hand goes through me.

What?

I feel myself and look at her and Bradley. They can't see me?

The grown woman turns to me, as though she just now saw me.

"How does it feel now not to be touched or seen?" The woman snickers.

"This kid doesn't deserve a friend! And I will make sure you two never see each other ever again!" Says the woman- at this point I think is is alcoholic mother- as she leaves the room.

I turn to Bradley and see tears streaming down his face.

"I'm sorry..." He whispers and I wake up.

My breath was fast and I was sweaty.

I never saw Bradley again after that dream. His mom is the reason I'm now aftaid of the dark.

👻👻👻👻

I'm still sitting outside waiting for Henry and Carrie to come out of the house.

I hear the door shut behind me and see Henry and Carrie.

"We're ready to go." Henry says as he sprints to the car.

"Ok." I say as I hop in the back seat and we head back to drop me off at my house.

"So.. We aren't going trick-or-treating?" I ask as I get out of his car.

"Sorry. Me and Jacob made plans to go to a Halloween party his best friends holding tonight." He says and I fake smile at him. "That's ok.. I guess." I murdered the last part so he wouldn't hear it. He laughs and says bye and I say bye to Carrie as her eyes are glued onto her phone screen and she just nods.

I head inside and walk into my room, taking my Taco hat off and putting it on my dresser.

I sigh as I sit down on my bed.

I decided to turn off the lights and just sit in the dark like I used to.

That night, I fell asleep with the lights off while singing to myself.

👻👻👻👻

How are you liking the story so far?? Sorry for the mistakes! I hope Avery is ok... It makes me sad when my own characters are sad too :(

Don't forget to vote, comment and hope you liked reading!

Have a very nice day!