Sept & Oct 1970

September 1970

As the days, weeks, months went by Buck and Missy were inseparable. They have forged a great friendship, one that will last through the ages. Most of their time, they still spend together but when their respective families call for them they happily go, knowing that later they will see each other again.

To Missy what she felt was really new to her. She has never felt so secure and trusting with another dog. She never felt so good about opening up to a friend. She came to realize that Buck was a good influence that he never fails to help her be the best she could be. She thought could she really be.....what they call.... In love? Thinking about this gave her mixed feelings so she decided to just let her feeling take control. Whatever it is it will eventually come out.

As for Buck well as each day goes by he still finds himself very much in love with Missy. All the little things she does makes him smile. Whenever he thinks about the journey of their relationship he pretty much enjoys himself. He loves her and shows it. And he waits patiently for Missy to fall in love with him too. Even if it took forever he will wait he thought.

Their relationship was not the nagging type, it was somewhat a fun kind, the kind that other dogs would say they want that. All the laughing and lounging around together, yeah, it made some dogs jealous. The beauty of it is that they seem to somehow fit, like everything about them works. It seems as though destiny has created a close to perfect relationship, if only people were used instead of dogs then they'd make an example of the world. But was it just a coincidence or was destiny really working its magic? I don't really know.

September 1970

And then came that day.

It was the usual start of classes. The mother of the house preparing breakfast for the family, the father trying not to get his tie soiled. And the kids eating happily and their pets eating happily as well with a bit of enthusiasm than the children. This was a great sight to see, one big happy family, it could never get any better than this. As soon as the bus was around the block the children started to leave the house, a kiss for their mother and father and off they went. The dogs would wait for them when they get back but in the mean time it was free time for them.

As the Gray children said their "see you later mom and dad" and petted Buck in the head they went off to ride their bus. First day of classes no one wants to be late. Afterwards Buck went to the Lévesque's lawn to wait for Missy to come out.

Missy seeing that her family was getting a bit frazzled over the first day of school, tried to lend a hand, or a paw, to help calm her family. She rubbed herself against the kids prompting them to give her a belly rub. And when they did she started licking their faces and playing with them. The parents seeing this jumped in and the family calmed down by playing with Missy. After playing the mother decides to pack up a protein bar and sandwiches for each child, the father fixed what the children should bring and the whole family went out to escort the kids to the bus. And with a good bye kiss to both parents and a "Ve good now, Ve careful and ave a nice day. Ve love you" from both parents, a kiss for Missy too, the kids boarded the bus and the bus drove away. Off to school they went and then Missy went to their usual spot where she found Buck already waiting.

This time of theirs together was different, for one thing they didn't take their usual stroll, they just laid there and talked.

"First day of school is always never wracking." said Buck

"Yeah, you tell me!" she replied

Lying their calmly was making Missy unsteady. Her feelings once again were pretty mixed up. Most of the time she wouldn't feel this way around Buck, but no not this time, this time she didn't really know what to do. She could not believe how her feelings were being at that moment, it would not calm down. Why is that she asked, what do you want me to do and with that question she was caught by Buck's sudden blurt.

"Missy, I love you." He blurted with conviction.

The time she was contemplating her feelings did not make her realize that Buck was thinking of his emotions as well. She was surprised.

"I know I haven't said it but surely you see it through my actions right. And right now I just wanted it to be officially said. Yes, I love you Missy, from the moment I laid eyes on you from across our street".

And before Missy could answer both families called their dogs in, it was the morning walk as some would call it, and they went off without Missy getting a chance to reply. The day was somewhat long with each dog keeping their respective house moms company since the father and kids were out. And because of this Missy and Buck didn't spend the day with each other. They just sat at their living rooms and got a chance to think, Missy especially.

She thought, "How could Buck fall in love with me?" This is not true, I must be dreaming. I so have nothing to offer." But when she closed and then opened her eyes she was wide awake. It wasn't a dream, that's for sure. She felt the mixed feeling come up again, surfacing this time stronger than the ones she first had. She thought my feelings are probably telling me something. I just don't have to over think this one. And with that she tried to take it all in....and she arrived to one conclusion, she was in love with him too, she was just really scared to admit it. She loved Buck and she decided that she was going to tell him when they see each other later.

When the bus arrived in its stop the kids started pouring out, the bus stop was on Missy's side of the road. As soon as both dogs heard that somewhat weird honk they came out to their respective lawns and waited patiently for their respective kids.

Missy gave Buck a glance that coupled with a really huge smile, kind of signaling Buck that she has to tell him something very important, and that they need to see each other when the kids have gone inside. Buck smiled as well he felt something was bound to happen.

So the Gray kids came out of the bus first with the younger one getting ahead because he wanted to play with Buck already seeing him on the lawn, after a long day from school. So he tried to cross the street.

As the young Gray was about half way there, to their lawn, a car from nowhere came out of the blue. The car was doing a 120m/hr, and was about to hit the youngest Gray. But something pushed him out of the way in time to save his life.

An ambulance arrived at the scene and so did police cars. Sirens were heard and so as murmurs from the whole neighborhood. They were encircling the car, the man who was driving the car who is now getting arrested and the family who is weeping really hard for the loss of one family member. They were saddened indeed by the death of their beloved Buck, he pushed the young Gray out of the way hard and saved his life in time.

Missy saw all these from across the street, she muzzled her way into the center of the circle to see if Buck was ok. Her stomach dropped to see him lying in the floor lifeless. She was in shock, couldn't do anything, she was supposed to tell him she loved him too. She wanted to tell him her real feelings, she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him but now she couldn't. Seeing as though there was nothing she could do, she just lied there beside Buck and tried to nudge him awake.

The next day the whole neighborhood offered a memorial for Buck, a heroic dog they all knew, one that was loved by all. They made speeches about their happy times with Buck and how he changed their lives. Everybody assured the Gray's that Buck will never be forgotten, that he will always be in everybody's hearts.

Everybody went to the funeral, all the household pets included. It was a great memorial one that will be truly remembered.

After the funeral Missy and her family was left behind. The Levesque's comforting the Gray's and Missy staring down at where Buck was buried. She was very sad, sadder than everybody combined. Her heart is breaking and it will continue to break, it will never heal, this she knew. She sat there and cried, cried hard she did. It was the worst day of Missy's life. She will forever regret not being able to tell him that she loved him.

OCTOBER 1970

As the days go by Missy never failed to visit Buck's grave, sitting quietly just looking at his stone slab, she grew more depressed with each passing day. She didn't know what to do, she lost a true friend, and she never got to tell him what she really felt, she was lost.

Everyday it went on like this for Missy until one day came when an illness came upon her. She suffered this illness which led to her death. She was strong but I guess fate had its reasons. And so here in Atlanta lies Buck and Missy, two souls that had a tragic fate. Not unless destiny has other plans.