"Cheese!"

"Okay guys, sit still....Good...." Evergreen muttered to herself as a family of deer paused to nibble on something on the ground. She had been wanting to get a photo of the small herd ever since she spotted the buck just outside the forest. As the muffled "click" of the camera whispered it's way through the woods, the buck's head lifted in suspicion that something was nearby. It offered Evergreen another chance to get a good picture of the beautiful scene.

The deer were spooked and ran further into the forest, Evergreen sighing. She started to think that her camera was too loud once again, but her thought was interrupted by a crunching of leaves and sticks that was headed straight for her. She froze, trying to figure out what those sounds could be, turning around to see the ranger on his way. She sighed heavily, relieved,having almost thought a much larger creature was behind her.

"Hey kid, it's getting late, shouldn't you be headin' home?" The old ranger's name was Tom Elliot, a family friend, and a father figure to Evergreen.

"I was just snapping some pictures of the local wildlife. It's beautiful this time of day, and many of the wild families come out in the open one last time before finding a place to settle for the night." She grinned, looking at the sunset which was already halfway under the horizon.

"I would hate to be a party pooper, Eternity, but the woods at night is no place for a young girl like you. It's dangerous out here." Tom looked around, as if he was nervous. Eternity was the nickname he gave her when she was a baby, he always spoke about the first time he held her in his arms, he saw eternity in her eyes.

"But, we haven't heard of any animal attacks in years. In fact, no one has even been bitten by a snake out here. I would reckon I am pretty safe." Evergreen still started packing up her equipment, although taking her time.

"I shouldn't tell you this, I was sworn to secrecy, but I suppose it would make more sense to you. Out here in these woods, there is something that even the biggest predators cower from. No one has actually seen it, those that have, well, they are gone. No one has heard from them since the moment they laid their eyes on the house here." Tom looked around, clearly unnerved.

"A house...?" Evergreen was confused, how come she had never seen a house? She could swear she had been all over the woods, and even went from one end to the other, never once did she even see rubble of a building.

"A few years ago there was a woman who lived in that house. I am sure you even know who I am talking about, she has a museum in her honor smack in the middle of town by the library." Evergreen's eyes lit up, she immediately knew who Tom was talking about.

"Maddison Briars! The town photographer and conservationist!"

"Yes well, she went missing. Her entries suddenly ceased and we know nothing of her whereabouts. It's as if she is held captive in her own house, or worse. We can't ever get close enough to know because every time we send a search team they never come back." Tom picked up her equipment bag and had her follow him down the trail outside of the woods, and it seemed like he really did not want to be there very long.

"Has anyone ever gotten close? Like, at all?" Evergreen followed him, he was tall and moving rather fast, having to put some bounce in her step to keep up.

"Yes. I have, but maybe it's because I know these woods like the back of my own hand. See, the reason the house is so out of sight is because it's in a clearing surrounded by heavy trees. The path doesn't reach up to it anymore, it was covered by dense undergrowth. So it's hard to get up to. Another problem is, it has a very large brick wall. The house was originally owned by her parents, and was made to be a getaway from everyone and everything. Once Maddison was born, they made it their permanent living quarters. They died fairly early on in her life, and she followed her dreams of being a photographer, as you know." Tom smiled, patting Evergreen on the head as they exited the forest and made it to his office.

"Hey, before I head home, can I get a picture of you in front of the forest entryway?" Evergreen smiled sweetly and Tom rolled his eyes.

"Sure, where exactly do you want me to stand?"

"Just stay right there, say Cheese!"

"Cheese."

Click.