23.

You could cut the silence in the room with a knife.

The woman, Jora, hesitated, but then again, so did everyone else in the room.

All of us, frozen still like statues.

But if Kayne trusted this woman, then we needed to show her who we are and what she's choosing to fight for, not to cower away from her.

A glance back at the others confirmed my fears. Each and every one of them was looking at her with distrust and unease. Not exactly the type of look you want to give someone you need as an ally.

Quickly I moved forward, still cautious, but trying my hardest to look welcoming even though granted, I don't have the most cheery face. More times than not I've been told I suffer from good old RBF...resting bitch face. I tried gallantly though to put a believable smile on my lips.

I could feel her scrutinizing me where I stood before her, but I didn't shy away underneath her stare. Instead, I lifted my chin. "I'm Rowan."

She tilted her head to the side in a birdlike movement as she looked down at my hand extended between the two of us.

While her eyes were adverted I took a better look at her. It was strange, the way her skin had this dewy soft appearance even though she seemed older. I'd guess she was at least somewhere in her late forties, but around her eyes and mouth there wasn't a single wrinkle or sign of age at all. Only her starkly gray hair, whisked back into a low bun on the nape of her neck, and the slight hunch to her shoulders gave her away. In every other way she was perfection. Big wide almond eyes and a nose that sloped down to a sharp point.

"It's their greeting." Kayne's low murmur snapped mine and Jora's attention back up to him. I was confused at first until I realized I was still holding my hand out to her.

Slowly, skeptically, Jora reached out with her own hand, pressing her palm against mine for the briefest of touches before she recoiled her hand again, placing it idly at her side.

I smiled, not correcting her, and her eyes quickly flitted away from me and back to Kayne, then right back to me. "May I?" Her deep gravelly voice startled me, but I nodded slowly as she outstretched her hand towards my face.

Behind me I heard someone's feet shuffle uncomfortably, and without looking I knew it was most likely Jeremy. My being so trusting of the alien race stressed him out to no end.

Just the thought reminded me of the awkward situation he'd walked in on earlier. I don't know how I managed to forget I'd just been caught in the stairwell with my tongue in the enemy's mouth by my brother. The blush that lifted to my cheeks had nothing to do with the way that Jora carefully touched my cheek with her fingertips and smiled, but had everything to do with the way Kayne watched, then whispered. "Didn't I tell you?" At Jora's side.

"Indeed you did, child." She nodded as she slowly withdrew her fingers and looked back into my eyes. "Your skin is...most beautiful."

Okay, now the blush is because of her.

"Oh, um, thanks." I mumbled under my breath, my momentary courage seeping away.

Like the lifesaver he's always been to me, Tommy appeared at my side, then shocking me and everyone else, especially Jora, he elbowed me aside, taking my spot in front of her.

"If you think that one is an impressive specimen, just wait until you get a look at me." Tommy chuckled, puckering his lips and flexing his arms like he was a model at a photoshoot, changing up his poses. "You can look, and you can touch," He joked, "Just don't shoot me with any weird laser guns and you and me are all good."