33.

Four days wasted in this cave.

Two more wasted switching from inside the cave, to outside of the cave, then back.

One more waiting on the others to come.

A whole week of wondering when the end would come.

"You look like you're being cynical again."

I rolled my eyes and threw a small ball of snow at the side of Kayne's face, missing by at least a foot. "I'm always cynical. Haven't you heard? It's the end of the world and shit."

"This isn't the end, Rowan." He said, sharpening a knife on a rock. It was amazing how sexy he managed to look doing something so primal. Like a hot caveman. God, when needed to get out of here before I lost what was left of my fragile little mind. Living in close proximity with Kayne, all alone, sleeping with him cuddled around me...it was confusing things. Not even confusing them, but like, making them complicated as hell.

It was hard to focus on being a Debby Downer when every time I'd look at him I'd get this warmness spread deep in my stomach. He was cramping my give-no-shits-style. It was hard to remember I'm the negative shit talker when he made me feel all giggly and girly even in the middle of the least ideal times.

Like while being hunted by vindictive evil time travelers with an axe to grind.

"Are you hungry?"

I squared him with a look and rolled my eyes. "What kind of question is that?"

He laughed, moving to the side of the cave opening and unwrapping something. "I've got some rabbit I caught this morning." He glanced up over to me where I sat on a rock contemplating life and he grinned. "By that I mean, I have a rabbit for me, and a Hershey bar and a protein pack for you."

"Smart boy." I move closer to the little fire. "No way in hell am I eating Thumper."

"Thumper?"

I quickly filled him in on Bambi and his little bunny friend and by the time I was finished he was looking back at me with a horrified expression. "That's a movie for children?" He gasped.

"Yup."

"Wow, and I thought my people were twisted in the head."

"That's just how Disney rolls." I shrug, digging into the candy bar. "They have to build a story by killing at least one person within the first fifteen minutes of the movie to get you sad before they build you back up." The chocolate melts in my mouth and I hand back the rest before I'm tempted to eat the whole thing at once. "It's standard practice really."

"I see." He mumbled while getting the poor little bunny body ready to go on the fire.

"I can't believe you're still going to eat Thumper."

He laughed, finishing off tying the legs. "Sorry, but Thumper tastes good."

"Bambi probably does too, but I still aint going to eat him."

He rolled his eyes and looked down at me as he moved over to sit at my side. "What about Nemo?"

"How the hell do you know about Nemo?" I gasped.

"I found a Disney Coloring book in the motel." He explained. "Am I supposed to believe you'd not eat a fish if I'd caught one?"

I pursed my lips, trying to not smile. "I'm saying I wouldn't eat an orange one...or blue."

"Blue?"

"His best friend is blue."

We both laughed for a second, but before long silence falls over us again. I groaned as little wet things began to hit me in the face. It's late in the day, the sun will be gone soon and then the others will meet us here. The freshly falling snow isn't going to make it a fun journey though. If we ever survive this...like really survive it, I'm moving somewhere it never snows. Somewhere that never goes below 75 degrees would be ideal. I aspire to live the rest of my life in shorts and t-shirts. Just thinking of it makes my mood a little lighter, if only for a second.