Middle of a Memory

"Alice?" She rushed towards me, wrapping her arms around me.

"Maverick, you're okay."

"Alice...what happened?"

She grabbed my hand, pulling me out of the room and into the living room, setting me on the couch.

Each member of the family entered, shocked looks painted on their faces. Jacob sat beside me, hugging me.

"You...you died, Mav." My breathing hitches.

"H-how?" Alice crosses her legs, and I hear it.

I hear the small pattern in Jacobs breathing and the beating of his heart. Every particle of dust in the air, things normal people wouldn't be able to see, I'm seeing them.

"You really don't remember?"

<Flashback>

"Emmett!!"

A newborn had me around my torso, crushing me.

I couldn't talk, couldn't breathe and barely remember anything they said to me in that moment.

"I'll make the pain go away." Emmett latched his fangs into my neck, saving me.

<Over>

"A little bit, not much."

Carlisle sits in a chair in front of me, shining a light in my eyes.

"Pupils dilate, but they're the same as a newborns. Theres no possible way."

"A newborn crushed your heart, E-Emmett tried to change you, but you didn't make it. Apparently though, you did. But I couldn't see your future, now it's just cloudy."

"Carlisle what's wrong with her?"

"I don't know, let's get her back to m-"

"Wait. Where's Emmett?" Jacob sighs and Carlisle stops walking.

"He... left. Your death was too much for him and he left. Edward is tracking him, trying to keep him out of as much trouble as possible."

I break away from them and head for the door, only to flash there and knock over a table.

"Speed of a vampire... No, Maverick. You can't go yet. We have to find out what happened, what changed in you. Edward can keep Emmett safe, and Alice is watching them, they'll be okay." I stop for a moment, before giving in and following Carlisle.

He leads all of us to his lab, and I hop on the table, my legs dangling off the side.

"So we're going to test everything, see what's different. We have to find out and you can't leave this house until you do." Nodding, I watch as he brings out a set of tools, some things that look like hammers, a bottle of water and a chunk of silver.

"First off, the most crucial thing is if you can still shift. Will you try it for me."

"Anything you need me to do, Carlisle."

He gestures to a empty section of the room, clear of any antiques or people.

I stand alone and try to will myself to transform, my body heating up and I can feel my bones stretching and transforming.

When I look in the mirror, I'm still humanoid looking, some facial features have a canine aspect, my hands have long, jet black claws and my clothes are still intact. No tail either.