16

"Log file on ..."

Moroo's voice, unscathed by the malnutrition and extreme age which plagued his family, bled throughout the ship. Each word a slash to Davidar's cousin's collective jugular.

He began.

"My dear family ... you're all in deep slumber and I've said my final goodbyes. I hope to find a way to join you in the next life. Until then, I shan't speak of it again. Zylo One's navigational computer is searching through star charts. Once our destination is found, I'll let you all know.

"Secondary to losing my brother, Toroo, and your beloved mother, Ishma, this will be my biggest challenge. I didn't show it often, but I loved them oh ... so dearly. In absentia, Tarisha and I have worked extremely hard to give you all the tools you'll need to find your eternal paths. I'm not one for religion, you all know that as fact. However, I hope the Maker's light will shine on you all. Log file off."

Ralia caressed the back of Davidar's hand. Her callused thumb bumped over the tendons as if he had no skin. She attempted to pull away from him but he caught her hand and drew her closer.

"That's the first time I've heard my mother's name in a long time." Tears shone in Ralia's eyes.

Davidar couldn't remember the last time he had heard his father's name either. "Mine as well."

"Hold on a minute," Fladir said. "I'm having difficulty accessing ..."

"Scoot over ... let me," Tranz argued. A short scuffle ensued before the recording came back on.

"A Gnam cruiser is in pursuit. Before we left Treylor's wreckage, I planted a plasma bomb. I believe they fell for the trap. But where you find one cruiser, you find more behind it. We've now picked another one up. I've decided to disappear into a meteor field. I feel confident Zylo can maneuver through without much damage. We built a good one ... boys.

"I don't doubt the Gnam will be waiting on the other side of the meteors. If the shields hold up long enough for us to get up to speed, we should make it out alive. The radar has not shown any smaller ships in our path. It appears there will not be a fighter threat. This increases our chances of survival.

"Zylo has charted our course. Unfortunately, there's a black hole in our path. All indications are that we use the black hole as the way to our destination. It is the jump point, a portal to a new galaxy. And I'd wager, the reason we never received word from the last scientific expedition."

Everyone perked up but nobody said a word as they awaited the next file to start. Rauze snorted in his sleep. Davidar smiled at Ralia, who giggled. Aleese cackled. Even his mother's lips pursed.

A loud, broken up BAM, ceased their momentary glee.

"We suffered some hull damage ..." Moroo panted. "... from that last blast! The ship remains viable. When the Gnam noticed my heading ... they backed off." He guffawed. "Smart of them. No one has ever navigated a black hole. I know I can. We will safely arrive at our destination. I don't know how long it will take. It could be instantaneous or happen over years. I'll keep you all apprised of our status."

"Does anyone need a break?" Tranz tapped the microphone as if knocking on a door.

Davidar's eyes slipped over the group in the room. He wanted to continue and the eyes in the room reflected the same. He reached up and pushed the com button. "Settle Room is ready."

"Med Room's a go," Alek pitched in.

"You've got it," Tranz said. "I'll play them consecutively from now on."