33

The abduction happened faster than a snap of the fingers. In her mind, Katelyn saw little snippets of time. Images she could flip through in forward and reverse.

She'd stepped onto the large rock to get a better view of the astronauts. Jimmy Boy shot out the lights. Those soldiers opened fire and killed the people. The helicopter moved. Two massive arms wrapped around her waist and she shot into the air.

Another man pulled them inside the helicopter and something pricked her neck. A sea of blackness followed. She fought hard to stay above the waves, but the undertow pulled, and she disappeared into the depths of unconsciousness.

Katelyn found herself sitting in a meadow near her house. She watched a hummingbird flit from flower to flower. It stopped and changed direction. The bird whizzed over her head, and the speedy little creature fluttered next to her left ear. The incessant beating of wings grew louder and louder. Katelyn opened her eyes. The rotating blades of the helicopter hummed like the little bird in her dream.

A bright light beamed from somewhere above her, illuminating two girls lying back to back across from her. They slept soundly. Their bodies glistened with sweat. Katelyn figured the light must be hot as it resembled those of a tanning booth. She wiggled against the bindings on her hands and feet. When she tried to speak, the gag choked against the roof of her mouth and tongue. The girls wore the same black and silver suits as the other two she met.

Men adorned in black armor lined both walls of the large helicopter. They all seemed to be sleeping except for one. He stood in the middle with his back to her. His broad shoulders took up most of the space between the sleepers. A long, straight sword dangled from his back. His hands, covered in black leather gloves that reached an inch below his elbows, grasped a long metal bar above him.

She thought the heavy black boots he wore must be a military issue. Her knowledge of military garb wasn't substantial, but her father had been in the National Guard and kept a similar pair of boots in the attic.

Katelyn watched the two girls lying across from her. The bright light shimmered against their porcelain skin. Both girls' lips glowed ruby red. On a second glance, she noticed the girls didn't have any makeup on. Sweat beaded on their faces and foreheads. When the light hit the people in the forest, they all dropped to the ground as if they'd been tasered. It seemed this light had done the same to these girls.

With her eye on the mammoth guard, she slowly sat up. Once upright, the light shining on the girl dangled a couple of inches above her head.

The handkerchief or whatever they had stuffed in her mouth, tickled the back of her throat. Before she could stop herself, she coughed.

Behemoth man spun around. A metal mask covered his face and a shaded visor concealed his eyes. The soldier reminded her of one of her brother's GI Joe action figures. He used to run around the house terrorizing her with it.

He must not have thought her a threat because he turned back around toward the front of the chopper. She inched herself using her butt and leg muscles until cold steel pressed against her back. The piece of metal she had bumped into jutted out. If she sat up a little and pressed the zip ties against the metal, maybe she could break them. But every time she wriggled her hands, the plastic cut deeper into her wrists.

For crying out loud, I'm not Houdini.

Katelyn thought for a moment. What if she woke the girls? Maybe together, a plan might come out. In the movies, people always find a way to get free in these situations. Possibly not in the Saw movies; an exception to the norm.

She slumped to the ground and stretched out her long legs. They almost reached the foot of one of the girls. With one inchworm-type move, she scooted a tad closer. When she stretched with every inch of her body, her feet came toe-to-toe with the silvery boots of the girl with the long red hair. She lightly tapped the girl by flicking her ankles side to side and prayed the girl's eyes would open.

Neither of the girls had gags in their mouths. They had thick silver bands, not the thin plastic they had Katelyn tied up with, wrapped around their legs and torsos. She nudged the girl's foot a little harder and swore her eyes twitched.

Good, she was getting somewhere.

A second and third try didn't do anything. On her fourth effort, the girl stirred. Her long lashes flickered and the eyes within moved side to side against the lids. Katelyn kicked one more time and the girl's eyes opened.

The pain in those eyes made Katelyn wish she hadn't woken her. The girl scanned the area but didn't move a muscle. She stared at Katelyn and then up at the light. It made her wince and she closed her eyes again.

One of the men who sat a few feet from Katelyn slowly turned his head. The motion from which he went from seated to a crawling position, reminded her of a contortionist. He crawled on his hands and knees toward the girls.

Lights reflected off the man's mirrored visor. Katelyn closed her eyes. If she pretended to be asleep, he might leave her alone. Though he'd seen something. Long hard sniffs came from inside the mask scraping the floor as he inched closer. He crawled over her feet and she turned her head, peeking through one eye.

He sniffed the length of the tiny brunette, who had not awakened yet. When he moved on to the next girl, his mirrored face slid between the woman's breasts and down to her crotch where he took a long, slow, whiff.

Katelyn cringed and let out a little yip thinking she would be next. It drew the man's attention to her and he crawled over like a spider sneaking up on its prey. The man began at her feet and sniffed. He strafed over her legs in a pendulum motion. She couldn't help but whimper and cry.

The large man from the center of the helicopter turned and took two long strides. He grabbed the other man by the throat and slammed him against the wall. The smaller soldier yelped.

Her savior growled twice. He tossed the smaller man toward the back of the helicopter and into some sort of cargo hold. The man stood and started to come forward, but the behemoth cut him off and let out a deep, throaty, guttural, snarl. The fearsome sound filled the helicopter. The smaller man cowered into a dark corner and did not move.

On his way back to his resting place, the leader of the soldiers stopped and loomed over her. His gargantuan head turned until the black visor glared at her. Katelyn didn't hide the fact she'd woken up. She only wished she could see behind the mask and look into the eyes of the man who saved her from being molested. Still, he seemed to ignore her and returned to his overwatch.

Thanks for reading, commenting, and voting. Please share with your friends if you're enjoying the story so far. It's starting to heat up now. In the next chapter, someone you know and love will ... DIE.