20

Davidar watched Ralia hustle from one piece of equipment to another. His mother had continued to grow older by the hour and had the med team stumped. The two younger girls held a silent vigil as if in a prayer circle. Misha held Tarisha's right hand and checked her vital signs constantly. Aleese had the left, whispering often into their mother's ear, each comment longer than the next. Tears followed in droves.

"Anything?" He hoped his sister had heard a whimper. Maybe a sigh?

Her head gently shook. Tears glided off her cheeks and splashed to the floor.

Ralia's silver bun dangled in frazzled tendrils. He could have sworn her frown lines had deepened an inch since they woke. Each time she took a blood sample to another machine, the crevices dug further into her fragile skin.

Shouts came from the Flight Room. Davidar kissed his mother's forehead and scooted into the hall.

Ranloo stumbled into him as he rushed out of the Engine Room. He caught Davidar by the shoulder, which kept him from flying into the other side of the hall.

"Sounds like my brother's."

Davidar nodded. "Should we sneak up and see what they're arguing about?" He had a good idea of what had transpired.

When Davidar and Ranloo crossed the crooked hall and entered the Flight Room, the conflict had ended.

Fladir had his usual stoic straight lips. His right hand held the nape of Tranz's neck. Brotherly love; or control of a wild animal? The latter seemed more likely.

Tranz glanced up long enough to let Davidar know he'd stumbled onto Fladir's secret but couldn't talk now. The room felt sinister.

"What are you two on about?" Ranloo gently removed Fladir's hand from Tranz.

Fladir rubbed his right hand as if it had been crushed. "Tranz has volunteered to be the first of us to venture outside." Still no facial expressions.

"That's ill-advised." Ranloo slicked back the last few strands of hair on his head. "I'm the only one trained on the equipment."

Fladir chortled. "Let the boy have his day. It's a joyous occasion. Not everyone has the opportunity to say they discovered a new world." A flicker of light glinted behind his eyes.

Finally, some emotion.

Ranloo and Fladir then started to squabble. Davidar saw his chance and moved Tranz to a corner of the room. "You think this is a good idea?" he whispered.

"Doesn't look like he's giving me a choice. But I do have to talk to you as soon as I return. About, you know what?"

"Tell me."

Tranz glanced at Fladir. "I can't. What I found out could get us ... killed."

Killed? Not what he had expected to hear. But he didn't have time to say it as Fladir shoved Ranloo aside and slinked into the conversation.

"Ready to give the females the good news?" Fladir asked Tranz.

Tranz hesitated and nodded.

"You don't have to do this," Ranloo said.

Tranz wouldn't look his brother in the eyes. "Fladir is the captain now. We would do well to heed his counsel."

Davidar folded his arms. "I'm going with him."

Fladir's eyes tensed. "You'll stay by your mother's side while we ascertain if it's safe to venture outdoors. Atmospherics and Navigations are back online. And this world isn't only inhabitable-it's inhabited. Tranz is the youngest, fastest, and least tired. He'll be able to maneuver in the new environment quicker and quieter than anyone else. Ranloo, you'll be on coms the entire time."