21

Soft rays of light peeked through the east window as they drove between thickly wooded areas. In Matt's opinion, the road shouldn't have been paved. Every crack and pothole made his head pound harder. The rain had started to drizzle on them, and when it turned into light snow flurries, the three in back had piled into the cab.

Eve raised her head from his chest. "Where are we?"

"I was about to ask you the same thing." He yawned and slyly checked his breath. The entire truck smelled like alcohol and he did too. At least he didn't smell like puke.

Katelyn had her face in Brett's lap. Brett lay back against the headrest, his mouth open, wheezing a soft snore. All innocent on the virgin front.

The truck came to a slow halt.

"We at Marcie's?" Eve asked.

Her answer blinked in neon above the gas station where Jason had parked next to a single pump. The illuminated sign flickered on and off.

Jason opened his door. "If you gotta take a piss, now's the time."

Nancy crawled out behind him. She looked surprised when he offered to help her down. The two walked to the front door of the little store.

Dustin woke and smacked his head on the inside passenger window. Bewildered, he rubbed the bump. "What's up?" No one answered him. The older kids didn't pay much attention to the freshman wrestler.

Matt yawned again and kissed Eve. He hadn't expected to and promised himself he wouldn't, but he'd started to like her back. Now, he needed to see what could be done to save her soul. He realized how close he had come to being damned forever. Yet, he knew the alcohol had done the sinning for him. In his heart, he said a prayer to save them all. The missionaries told him that if he repented of his sins, he would be forgiven. He need only pray. And, of course, tell the pastor or whatever what sin he had committed. They called confessing your sins. Like the Catholics, but ... not. He wondered if they gave fifty lashes per sin or some other awful penitent punishment.

Dustin slammed the front door and hustled to catch Jason and Nancy.

Eve sat up. Makeup smudged from her eyelids up to her eyebrows. She noticed herself in the mirror. "OMG." Her hands flew up over her face. "I look like a hooker." She crawled over Matt, opened the door, and used her well-trained leg to somehow land with one foot on the pavement.

Katelyn and Brett slept soundly. For now, he'd leave them. But if he saw one move, he'd come back and rain on their make-out parade. He took care not to wake them when he closed the door

Jason slapped a button next to the locked front doors over and over. "Marcie! Jimmy Boy! You guys home?"

The buzzer reminded him of his old gym's bell in Seattle. A brisk wind also gave him the feeling of home. Matt held his arms together trying to keep warm. Eve wouldn't look at him as he saddled up beside her. He thought she might be embarrassed for trying to seduce him. Or, she didn't want him to see her without her face on. Anyone who wore heavy makeup (boys and girls he knew) didn't appreciate being seen without said facial goop.

He saw two garbage cans by the walk-in cooler. Remnants of various types of broken bottles still sat in their refrigerator slide compartments.

Lights flickered on upstairs. Matt didn't hear anyone moving around. He watched a stairwell across from the restroom sign, thinking any second someone would be on their way down.

He turned to Nancy. "Are you sure they're here?"

"Pretty sure." She cupped her hands against the window.