34

Davidar checked the area where his family had been strewn about and left for dead. Bullet shell casings littered the ground around the ramp. Light flurries of snow started to cover the patches of coagulated blood. About six feet away, and crumpled in a black ball, laid the body of the soldier he had killed. Then he remembered the other one. The one he tossed into the trees.

He glanced in the general direction he'd thrown him and found the damaged Pine. Its trunk had fractured and splintered but didn't bust in half. It slumped forward as if it had decided from then on it wanted to be a Weeping Willow.

Those men had a different odor than the children. Their scent made Davidar think of dried clod dung. It wasn't the best analogy, but it was the only one he could think of. He lifted his nose into the air, trying to catch the scent again. After a few seconds with no luck, Davidar thought the attacker probably made it back to the helicopter.

"Davidar," Alek called from the entrance to the ship.

"I'm leaving with Dram!"

"Before you take off ... you need to see this."

"What is it?" He rushed up the ramp, trying hard not to speed there. The children had their eyes on him.

When he reached the top of the ramp, Alek took him by the crook of the elbow and led him into the Settle room.

"Look." He pointed at the drawer where Davidar had hidden Rauz.

The drawer looked as if it had been ripped open from the inside out. Strands of flowering metal bent out from all sides. A large claw mark streaked down from the opening where a greenish-orange sludge oozed to the floor. Inside the muck, he saw pieces of Rauz.

"He melted," Alek said frankly.

"Thanks. I couldn't tell."

"I thought you should know."

Davidar shook his head and stifled a tear. "Well, thanks for letting me know. I have to go. The humans are waiting.

Alek patted his shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"I'll be okay. Can you clean this up? I need to get back out there."

"Yeah. Don't let our brother eat anyone." Dram smiled.

Davidar gave him the gotcha sign, pulling an invisible trigger on his finger pistol.

"Boys," Tarisha interrupted.

"Yes, Mother," they both answered.

"I know you want our attacker, Davidar. But you need to go with the children. We'll keep our ears open for the survivor. You need to make haste and get to shelter before the sun comes up. While I do not feel the power like we did when the ship's doors first opened, I fear their sun isn't healthy for us."

Davidar nodded.

"Alek. Prepare Rauz for a proper burial. Once you're done, meet Treylor, Fladir, and me in the Flight Room."

"Yes, Mother."

Davidar tried to keep himself from searching the forest while he followed the kids up the hill. Dram had a conversation going with a boy about his age. They seemed attracted to each other. From his memories of the internet downloaded into his brain, Earth had a different view of love. Nasferians are a-sexual. Male or female, they can be betrothed to whomever they choose. Earth's history showed animosity against people who are different in general. They should grow up.

When he caught up to Jimmy Boy, the man squinted at him. Those beady eyes swarmed over Davidar's body.

Davidar felt uncomfortable. He leaned into Jimmy Boy and whispered, "I'm sorry but I'm already betrothed."

Jimmy's eyes immediately averted. His fingers dug into his pocket and he pulled out a cigarette. He popped the little white stick into his mouth and lit it with a lighter. A puff of smoke enveloped his head. It didn't have a pleasant smell.

"From what I've seen from your internet," Davidar said. "Those are very bad for you."

Jimmy Boy's left eyebrow cranked to the middle of his forehead. "Our internet?"

"Um ... you know, the United States ... of America's internet ... part." A backpedaling fail. Davidar shook his head.

"What are you playing at?" Jimmy Boy put the half-used cigarette out on the sole of his boot. The rest, he stuffed above his right ear.

Davidar stopped. "Playing at?"

"You know ... pulling my leg. Goofing. Whatever you want to call it."

"I don't understand." The subtle nuances of the human languages made him feel, for the first time-alien.

"Don't you know the expression? Shit fire, boy. You are a Commie."

"We're not communists!"

"Yeah. I'm getting that."

Davidar quickened his pace and caught up with Dram and the boy. "Who's this?"

"Davidar, this is Dustin. Dustin, this is my older brother, Davidar."

Dustin tipped his baseball cap. "Nice to meet you."

"C'mon Jimmy, get a move on!" a tall kid hollered from the top of the ravine.

Jimmy Boy had stopped. He picked up a bag and threw it over his shoulder. "I'm coming!"

Davidar met the rest of the crew at the top of the ravine. The tallest kid, Jason, and the redhead Nancy seemed together. Eve and Matt had coupled up, though, Matt seemed less interested than Eve. And Eve and Jason were brother and sister. The thought of relationships made his heart ache for Ralia.

Jimmy Boy caught up with the group and gathered his weapons from the people he'd loaned them to. He placed each one inside the large black bag, heaved the lot into the truck bed, and followed them in.

"You two can sit in the back with Jimmy boy." Jason stood between the open door of his truck and the front seat.

"I'm gonna ride in the back if that's okay?" Dustin followed Dram up the side of the truck. They sat close together against the cab.

Nancy snapped her gum from the front seat. "Looks like Dustin's in love."

Matt and Eve sat in the back seat. He looked as lost as Davidar felt. His sister had been taken with his cousin and soon-to-be wife.

Davidar wanted to hop into the truck. Before he realized what he'd done, he launched into the air. His arms flailed, and he landed with a resounding thud. The entire truck dipped down a couple of feet and popped back up.

"Hey!" Jason yelled. "Knock that shit off, you're gonna break my truck."

"I do apologize."

"Try not to hurt my truck."

"I'll do my best." Davidar gave Dram a flat smile.

Jimmy Boy's eyes bulged out like Rauz's had as a youngling. His hand snuck into the bag holding the weapons.

Brett broke the tense silence. "I gotta drain the lizard."

"Jesus, Brett," Jason said. "We have to get out of here."

"Sorry. Nature's calling." Brett turned and started to walk across the dirt road.

Out of the corner of his eye, Davidar saw a black blur. It moved quickly.

Silent.

Before Davidar could react, a glint of steel flashed in front of Brett. The boy's body contorted and fell. His head rolled through the snow and mud. It came to rest at Jason's feet followed by a slushy gush of blood.

Nancy shrieked.

Davidar felt his eyes burn as the sweet essence of the humans wafted through the air.

If you enjoyed the chapter, please comment, vote, and share the story with your friends.