4.1|| New Leader

Tina hugged herself tighter, but even her warmest winter jacket couldn't protect her from the cold. It wasn't even the howling wind swaying the naked branches of the oak tree in the Grants' backyard, but the knowledge that her sister had been kidnapped. And now, here she stood, waiting for Sam to show his face and present his solution for her rescue.

So far, only Jerry and Jimmy were present, pacing the length of the yard, leaving deep prints in the fresh snow, their concerned faces only half visible in the little light from the kitchen window. She didn't like this, didn't like how much the two of them looked alike at the moment, didn't like the pensive air Jerry had, as if he could unravel this situation and manage it. It was unmanageable. They were in over their heads and had always been. Jerry had never denied it, yet here he was now, acting as if this was his world.

The thought scared Tina, because she didn't feel the same. She was terrified. This wasn't her world and she didn't want it to ever be.

The back door opened and she jumped. Jimmy and Jerry also stopped their pacing and turned towards the newcomer. Kyle made his way towards them, his face set in concentration, his gait confident and powerful. Tina shivered again and her eyes drifted behind him. Kay and Jessica followed.

A strong surge of dislike overwhelmed her and she missed Kyle's words, but they didn't matter. It was something she wouldn't be a part of anyway. What really bothered her was the fake look of concern on Jessica's face.

"What is she doing here?" she asked before she could help herself.

Everyone fell silent. Tina studied Jessica, enjoying the crack in her mask as she openly glared at her. There she was, the real person behind the cutesy attitude. The stone hard bitch who acted her way out of everything and got under people's skin.

"Tina, come on," Jerry whispered in her ear.

She snapped out of her reverie and only then noticed that Jerry had his hand wrapped around her arm and was gently trying to pull her away, towards the darkness. She let him, satisfied with the effect of her words. Surely, the others had finally noticed the real Jessica coming out to play.

"What's wrong? Why wouldn't Jessie be here?" Jerry asked the moment they were out of earshot.

"Come on, Jerry, please tell me that at least you can see right through her."

Jerry let her go and stepped back, confusion shooting across his face. "What are you talking about?"

"Her mask. She acts the way everyone wants her to, overly friendly, just begging to be liked..."

"No, I'm pretty sure that's her," Jerry interjected.

Tina glared at him. "Don't tell me she has you wrapped around her finger, too."

"Where's all this coming from?" Jerry narrowed his eyes. "Is this Alice talking?"

She looked away, biting on her lower lip. Alice had been her friend in the jungle, the only one who made her feel better in all that mess, except for Jerry. Alice had also seen through Jessica's act from day one. Not that it had helped. She'd still stolen her boyfriend. And Tina had tried to make peace with it. Who Jimmy dated was none of her concern. But it bothered her that stealing Jimmy was not enough for Jessica. She had to have everyone's attention, be everyone's friend, get so touchy with Kyle it made Tina sick. If she were Kay, she would've throttled Jessica by now.

"It's not Alice talking. You're men. You just don't see her for what she is."

"Tina, Jessie is our friend," Jerry said in an exasperated voice that dug deep into her. "And she's never acted like anything else. You never said anything before this."