28.1|| Disaster's Eve

Jimmy sat on the cold tiled floor, his back leaning against the wall. His gaze was lost somewhere beyond white walls and neon lights as he tried to manage himself just a little.

He couldn't. The moment he and Christine had stepped on the Agency helicopters, some good-willed doctor had sunk a needle into his neck. Whatever had been in that syringe had knocked him out and fried his senses. The turmoil, anger and terror danced inside him, without an outlet.

Well, except for... His eyes drifted towards the one fist shaped dent in the wall. It was a bad idea to destroy hospital property, so he'd run down to the nearest convenience store and returned with a pack of cigarettes. It was still unopened in his back pocket because, as nervous and in need for stress relief as he was, he couldn't forget when and why he'd quit in the first place.

Cigarettes were toxic, just like his relationship with Izzy had been. He hadn't seen it then, he'd thought they were in love, that he loved her. After Jessie, he now knew it was nothing but lust and infatuation. This was love. And he was seconds away from losing it.

No one had passed by his spot and asked what he was doing there. The nurses' station on this floor was also empty and Jimmy had no idea where to go, who to ask. And it was killing him. The numbness caused by the drugs had also dulled his reactions, leaving his body in a weird state of toxic limbo.

All he knew was that Sam was in surgery. And if he were completely honest, Jimmy was grateful that he was alive. He'd seen Sam's face, seen him pass out. There was some major damage there and he had a hard time computing that Snitch Gravel had done that with his own hands.

They'd been so stupid, so naive, so proud of always managing to grab the jewel and escape with their lives. They could do this, fool Snitch Gravel and escape every time. Bullshit. The only reason they were alive was because Snitch Gravel let them be. He could send someone over right now to shoot them.

His muscles tensed at the thought. Maybe shoot him and Christine since the others were most likely with one foot in the grave. And Billy... Jimmy shut his eyes tightly, trying not to think about that now. Herrison had assured him they'd start searching, but Jimmy's trust in him and the agency was at an all time low at the moment. He only cared about the jewel. Taking it out of Christine's hand was the first thing he did.

A door opened somewhere around the corner and the sound of Christmas carols drifted from downstairs, reminding him that there was such a thing as Christmas and normal people waiting to go home and be with their families instead of care for half-dead tourists.

The door fortunately closed and the sound of normalcy disappeared. Jimmy needed this tight little hell to function at the moment. He needed the anger and the doubt to numb out the pain. Calming down would let the fear and panic back in. Would escalate the agony inside him.

His hands went to his back pocket and pulled out the pack of cigarettes.

"You smoke?"

Jimmy dropped the pack in surprise and raised his eyes. Kyle stood just a few feet away, leaning one forearm against the wall, a look of confusion on his face. He was pale and seemed a little less confident in his movements, but otherwise, there was no scratch on him.

Jimmy jumped to his feet and rushed to hug him. Kyle cringed in pain the moment he touched him, but Jimmy couldn't help it. The hug was short though and Kyle allowed it.

"I thought you were dead," Jimmy said, pulling away.

"I was almost dead. Cut it really close this time." Kyle shifted his weight and winced. "Can we sit?"

"Can you lean?"

Kyle nodded and Jimmy helped him to the floor before retaking his place next to him.