9.1|| Dizzying Heights

Sam clutched the pencil tighter, trying to keep his hands from shaking. It was silly, this was nothing. But for some reason, the prospect of their first street skirmish had him more nervous than most missions. Sure, missions were hard and they involved Snitch Gravel and ancient traps, but at least he knew that. He went in knowing to expect the unexpected. But this? How was he supposed to handle going out and shooting at random people over an abandoned construction site?

Your missions include shooting at people, too. But precious energy amplifying stones seemed so much more worth it. Plus, he could always find ways to avoid shooting. Maybe that's why he was so nervous this time.

"Are you done yet?" Tom asked, glancing at the map, over Sam's shoulder.

"Just about." He finished drawing the last part of the escape route and handed the map to his twin for checkup. Another thing that was freakish about the whole fraternity experience was how Tom was his superior and had the right to boss him around. And check his maps.

"Great. I need a third meeting point, though."

Sam yanked the map back. "What? I already have two routes and meeting points. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find another safe alternative?"

"I'm just asking for a meeting point, not an entire route, so figure it out, genius." Tom turned to the entrance of their small room.

Mizrelle had stopped in the threshold, biting her lip with uncharacteristic worry. She'd just made one hell of a bilingual pep speech just minutes ago, seeming confident in their success and riling everyone up just right. As he watched her now, Sam wondered if it was all for show.

"Are you ready, Tommy?" she asked.

Before she'd said the name, Sam had opened his mouth to answer, but shut it back up. He didn't like this, but he also felt like leaving them alone was a huge mistake. They didn't need to be alone. She needed to get the hell away from Tom.

"I was born ready," he answered with characteristic confidence.

It drew a small smile out of Mizrelle. It also caused her to put her hand on his cheek which in turn had Sam inner-bristling.

"I know I'm risking a lot by letting you lead a team so soon after being admitted, but I trust you. I know you'll handle it," she said.

"Of course I will. We all will," he answered with a smile that could be interpreted so wrong. Tom needed to stay the hell away from her, too, because he was leading her on.

"Are we going already?" Sam asked, not even bothering to hide the brattiness from his voice, while drawing a big ole X for the third meeting point.

Mizrelle laughed, but didn't take her sappy gaze away from Tom. "Yes, you will." She raised on the tip of her toes and planted a kiss on Tom's cheek, way too close to his mouth. "I'll see you tonight, darling." And without throwing Sam a backwards glance, she hurried out of the room.

"Yuck." Tom wiped the lipstick mark off his cheek. "I always hated her lipstick."

"Always?" Sam didn't really want to know, but he couldn't help asking.

"Why did anyone ever think to make black lipstick? I mean, how's that natural?" Tom checked his guns and the proper placement of his bulletproof vest.

Sam did the same, wondering if his twin was deflecting or it was just a general dislike for the color. Innocent. Not meaning that he'd actually tasted Mizrelle's lipstick. That he could've ever cheated on Angie. Or maybe it was before Angie.

"Hey!" Tom snapped his fingers in front of Sam's eyes. "Don't zone out. I need you sane. Come on." And without waiting for an answer, he left the room.