12.3|| The Feud

"Do your parents know about Snitch Gravel?" Sophie asked.

"Mom has no clue," Sam answered. "Dad knows Snitch Gravel is hunting us down. I told him, but it was no use. But he knows less than you do now, I guess."

Sophie mumbled something that sounded an awful lot like, "Freider is always useless," before she said out loud, "So, this other thing you're into, do they know about it?"

Sam and Tom both shook their heads just as the doorbell rang. Sophie frowned, but stood and headed for the door.

"I bet it's Angie," Tom said one second before the door opened and Angie's voice drifted to them.

"Excuse me, I'm not sure I've got the right place, but I'm looking for Sam and Tom?"

"What? Do you have a sensor or what?" Sam asked as Tom grinned and headed for the hall.

It took Angie precisely three seconds so whoop and dart past Sophie and into Tom's arms.

"Angie, I presume?" Sophie said with a grin, joining them in the living room.

"Yes, I'm so sorry. You must be Shopie." Angie turned, but stayed in Tom's arms and he hugged her from behind.

"It seems I'm getting my wishes faster than expected." She twirled one finger, indicating that Angie should do a pirouette.

Angie pursed her lips, but undid the zipper of her winter jacket and obliged, biting back laughter. Even if she wore baggy clothes like the rest of them, the jeans still molded on her hips, showing off the roundness of her butt, and with the jacket open, her narrow waist was visible.

Sophie nodded, apparently satisfied with Angie's looks, or maybe her willingness to satisfy an old woman's request. "You're a beautiful girl." She then looked at Tom who was smirking with way too much satisfaction. "And he knows it."

Angie bit her lip, a smile stretching on his face. "He's not too ugly either."

"Does she know about the other thing?" Sophie asked, and Sam's mood dropped the moment he realized they were not done with that part of the conversation.

"Yes. They all know," Tom answered.

Emotions battled on his grandma's face and Sam felt a little lost because he couldn't really tell what they meant. Sure, it was worry which was natural, a little bit of frustration because they wouldn't say more, but then there was something that looked an awful lot like pride and joy, which was weird.

"Don't worry Sam, you'll find Christine," she suddenly said. "Don't blame yourself because you're doing very well. But you've always set such high expectations for yourself. And once you're done with whatever you have to do, maybe you'll all pay me a visit before getting home. I want to meet Jimmy as well and see all your girlfriends."

Sam just nodded and stood from his chair. The longing look on Sophie's face showed she wanted them to linger, but Angie being there meant they had somewhere else to go.

"We promise that we'll all come by when we're done," he said.

Sophie's smile was filled with pride as she strode over and caught Sam in a tight hug. Sam hugged her back, grateful for the answers, for the trust and for the love his grandmother showed. She then moved away and hugged Tom, then Angie.

"Do you need any money?" she asked, the smile never weavering.

Sam's chest tightened again, and he looked around the room involuntarily. "No, we've figured it out."

"Don't feel bad for me," Sophie said with a laugh. "I'm not poor. I'm merely fond of my old furniture. It reminds me of my childhood and I don't feel like a little old lady living alone needs more."