14.1|| The Beast Inside is Sleeping, Not Dead

Winter days were short and getting shorter and it was something Jimmy hadn't noticed properly until they reached the city of Clermont-Ferrand at 5 p.m. and it was already dark out, like France was in some light devouring black hole.

Kyle had been right. The drive hadn't taken long, but they'd stopped for gas, then lunch, and treated it like a field trip. Eventually, they'd all taken turns dozing off in the car after their sleepless night, which hadn't exactly been helpful.

But even if he hadn't made up for the missed sleep, once they reached the town and checked into their hotel, Jimmy had to admit that he didn't feel like going to bed. Jessie and Kay were lively and eager to visit, and one pleading look was all it took to convince him that it was a great idea.

"Come on, it will be fun," Kay said, batting her eyelashes at Kyle.

"I'm sure it would," Jerry answered with a shrug, "but the lack of sleep gave me a horrid headache so I'd much rather nurse it in the lobby with a cup of tea then head to bed."

"You made me ride in the trunk where I couldn't sleep," Billy said, pointing an accusing finger at Kyle. "So I'm joining Jerry for tea."

"Tea is a lovely idea," Tina piped in, clasping her hands together over the novel she'd brought from one of the gas stations. "And the lobby is so nice with a lovely view of the street."

"Jessie and I are going out," Jimmy announced, earning a side hug from Jessie. He squinted at Kyle though, wishing his brother wouldn't back out and leave Kay disappointed.

"I think we should rest while we can," Kyle said, his tone careful and hesitant.

Jerry nodded in agreement. "I must say, I love how level headed you are. Good job."

Kyle squirmed at the compliment and turned to Kay. She looked ready to burst into tears of frustration. Jimmy clenched his fists, reigning in the impulse to pick a fight with him in front of everyone. But they'd have it out eventually if Kyle didn't stop being a moron. This aloof attitude worked for Sam, but not him.

"Come on, it's only for a couple of hours," Kay said, her voice low and defeated.

"Don't be a buttmunch," Jessie interjected.

"Oh, you're just using that word because you know it gets to me," Kyle mumbled. "Okay, I'm coming. I actually want to look around the place."

Jerry just shrugged and headed for the lobby with Billy and Tina, leaving the four of them alone.

Even if he'd finally agreed to come, Kay didn't look thrilled as they stepped out in the street. Jimmy watched them through narrowed eyes, but once Kyle took Kay's hand and it was obvious they wouldn't explode or start fighting, he focused on what really mattered.

The streets were decorated with Christmas lights, glittering red, green and blue against the snow. An intricate web of colorful girlands hung between lamp posts and the distant hum of Christmas carols filled the air. A Christmas market made out of tiny wooden cabins stretched across the square between them, and the air was heavy with the smell of cinnamon and gingerbread.

Jessie nestled closer to him as they walked, her eyes sparkling with wonderment. And as he looked at her, his heart felt too big for his chest. The honest smile on her face, the way she regarded everything with childish delight, the light speckle of freckles on her cheeks...

"It's so beautiful," she breathed.

"Yes, you are."

She looked up at him and her smile widened. "What?"

"I just..." He had no idea what to say because there were no words out there to describe what he was feeling. Except maybe three. "I love you."

Her face lit up with a new glow as she turned to face him. "I love you, too." Snowflakes danced in the air, fell on top of her nose, buried themselves in her hair.