Chapter 3

Third Person POV
“I wish Thomas would close his mouth.” John whispered to Alexander. Alex nodded when he received the request, hopping up from his spot on the colorful rug. With the brightest, most innocent smile, Alexander strolled towards Mr. Washington.

“Excuse me, sir?”

The teacher turned his attention to Alex, pausing the reading. “Yes, Alex?”

“May I read the book, sir?” He asked in a sickeningly sweet voice. Alex was absolutely beaming as Thomas's non-stop chattering proceeded. Washington was close to terrified, haven't seen such a big grin on a small child before. Nonetheless, he managed to put on a smile and nodded. Washington handed the book to Alex, Alex still beaming like a ray of sunshine.

Alex took the book and sat crossed leg right in front of the talkative boy. “You're Thomas, right?” he asked calmly. The boy arched an eyebrow at Alex curiously with a smirk. “Yeah, who's asking?” Thomas responded.

Alexander simply smiled and opened the book. “That's not important right now.” He cleared his throat and read, “The Little Engine that could… make you shut up!” He launched himself on top of Thomas, the book held above his head. Before Thomas knew what was happening, he was getting whacked with a book.

“IT'S TIME TO LEARN! IT'S TIME TO LEARN! IT'S TIME TO LEARN!” Alex swung the book at Thomas repeatedly and chanted. He hit Thomas with the book as if he had a fly swatter and Thomas was a pesky bug that refused to die. Thomas wrestled against Alex, trying to push the smaller boy off of him.

“GET OFF OF ME! YOU'RE CRAZY!” Alex disregarded Thomas, still swinging his weapon. The class had ran off the rug and Washington marched over to the two boys, furious. Washington ripped Alex off of Thomas and snatched the book from his hands. Once free, Thomas scooted away from Alex, tears in his eyes.  

Out of breath, Alex glared at Thomas. “That's why we don't talk at Storytime!”

Hercules's POV
It's only the first day and two people ended up in Timeout. Two! I'd expect that from Thomas Stinkerson, but not from the new kid. Alex seemed so nice and weird and sweet on the bus, but now I don't know what to think. I thought he was dangerous before and he probably proved me right. I didn't plan on watching him beat up Thomas with a book. He has guts, I'll give him that. John trudged over with a frown on his face. Oh no, sunshine boy isn't shining. “You okay, John? Is this about Storytime?”

John plopped down on the red chair next to me. He looked like the saddest chocolate chip cookie ever. “It's my fault! If I didn't tell Alex I couldn't hear because of Thomas, he wouldn't be in the corner right now!” I sighed and patted John on the back, trying to calm the cookie down. “It isn't your fault! Alex only tried to help you. He could of did something… less painful, but he did it.” Sunshine boy got some of his light back and I smiled. Sunshine boy must shine bright. “Thank you, Herc!” John smiled. He hopped out of the chair and bounced away. Maybe Alex could join our Sunshine Boy Protection Squad.

“That was…nice of you!” Laf sat next to me with a coloring book and crayons. I send him a big smile. “Thanks Gilbert! Just helping John feel better.” Laf handed me some crayons and proudly nodded. I made him proud! “You are a good friend.” He grinned at me, making the butterflies in my tummy flap their wings. “I try!” I don't know about Laf, but I was smiling the whole time we were coloring together.

Alex's POV
Ten minutes later, and I'm finally free from Timeout corner prison. I couldn't even think straight! I just ran around the class, looking for John or Hercules or someone when I tripped over a kid reading a chapter book. I thought I was the only one who could do that. Ignoring the stinging pain on my arm and butt, I tap the intellectual human’s shoulder.

“Pardon me, is that a chapter book?” Was I too formal? The boy almost smiled and did that eyebrow raising thing that my brother always did. “That depends, who are you?” Oh shoot, he wants to know. “Well, of course! I'm Alexander Hamilton! What's poppin?” Darn it, Alex! You had one job! The kid laughed at that immature phrase making my face feel warm.

“I guess this book is popping. It's about this brother-sister duo that go on magical adventures in their treehouse!” Wait… was he talking about the Magic Treehouse books? I love that book! “I love the Magic Treehouse!” The boy nodded his head approvingly. “You have great taste, my good man.”

Oh my gosh, did we just become best friends?! I don't even know this sweaty egg's name. “Sorry, I didn't catch your name.” The boy grinned. “That's because I didn't tell ya. The name's Aaron Burr. It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Hamilton.” I shook his clammy hand. “It was nice tripping over you, Mr. Burr, sir.” I almost laugh at the rhyme. I should rhyme his name with “sir” more often.