Chapter 4

John's POV
I sat at the round table, nervously eating my lunch while coloring a turtle. Turtles are nice! Maybe I could study them when I'm bigger. “Hey, Star boy!” I screeched and saw that Alexander snuck up on me. I let out a shaky breath. That was spooky. I was relieved and scared at the same time. “Don't roll up on me like that!”

Alex giggled like Tinkerbell and sat next to me with his lunch. “Did you read my note?” I shook my head, feeling guilty. Alex frowned and my heart felt sad. “What happened to it?” I stared at my turtle. “Well…”

Twenty Minutes Earlier

I was feeling happy again! I skipped to the rainbow rug. Alex was still in the corner, so I took out the note he gave me. My brain hurted. I couldn't read some of the words on the paper! Well, I guess it's time for Mission: Find a Reader. Maybe someone smarter can help, besides Alexander himself. I was a secret agent looking for a reader in the sea of students. Everytime I asked someone if they could read, it was always the same answer: “I can't read that! Go away!” That is until I found him.

“Charlie, can you read this?” I showed him Alexander's note. The revolutionary looked it over while sipping his juice. To my demise, he shook his head. “Of all people, you really think I can read? Can't you see how many big words are on that paper?!” I was almost ready to give up and walk away. My stomach, heart, and brain felt sad.

“Wait, my wife knows how to read!” I felt like a ray of sunlight shining through a cloud. I smiled so happily, I could explode! “That's amazing! Where is he?” Charlie raised his hand to point somewhere, but he changed his mind.

“I don't know if I can trust you!”

Wait, what? Can't trust me?! “What do you mean?” Charlie shot a mean look at me. “Don't play dumb with me!” I shivered at the phrase. Papa says that all too much. “I saw how that Alexander kid attacked Thomas! He might’ve said spooky words in this note and now you're gonna make Sammy read them!” My mouth stopped working. How can Charlie say those things about Alex?

Charlie ripped the note out of my bare hands. I didn't even know what was happening! As quick as a shadow, he put Alex's note in his mouth. I lost total control of myself and threw myself onto the table.

“SPIT IT OUT! SPIT IT OUT!” I shook him by the shoulders, my eyes stinging with tears. His face became fuzzy. Washing machine lifted me off the table. I tried to free myself as tears poured down my face. Why would he do that? Now, I can't read what Alex wrote. I clawed the air, shaking like a tree in a storm. “HOW COULD YOU?! I HATE YOU!”

Present

“...And then Washing machine put me over here and put Charlie at the other side of the room. I'm sorry I lost it.” Alexander sat quietly, making me scared. Out of nowhere, Alex gave me a hug! It was a nice warm hug. I wish we could stay like this forever.

“I know we haven't properly gotten to know each other, but I want to be your friend forever! Your freckles are like the billions of stars at night and your smile is always bright! If you could find it in your heart to comply, I want to start a friendship with you that will never die.” The hug ended and I stared at Alex confused. Since when was he a rapper?

“What?” Alexander laughed at something. I want to laugh too. “What's so funny?”

“That's what I wrote to you! I want to start a friendship with you. There wasn't any bad words in it.” He smiled cutely– I MEAN… crookedly? I smile back, happiness flooding through me. “Of course I'll be your friend!”

...

“IT WASN'T AN ACCIDENT IF I DID IT ON PURPOSE!”

><><><><><

Short chapter :P Hope you enjoyed! And No spooky words!! 💜