Chapter 6

Third Person POV
“Who's Billy?” Alex glanced between the three boys, striking worry into their hearts and minds. John, Laf, and Hercules shared a look. How were they supposed to know Alex was a super spy detective agent? Coming to a silent agreement, they nodded and faced Alex. “Guys?”

Laf was the first to break the silence. “Billy...is no one in particular…” he started. “Yeah!” Hercules chimed in, “Nothing important. Just... dead!”

Alexander gasped in disbelief. "How do you just die?!" He shifted his attention to the last of the three. John's eyes were elsewhere refusing to make eye contact. Alexander sat in front of John only for him to close his eyes tight. “John?”

John opened his eyes. First mistake. His met Alex's soft brown eyes. The two had only been friends for an hour or so and he couldn't seem lie to those eyes. Still unable to utter a word, John turned towards his two buddies. Second mistake. They had the same pleading look in their eyes. They've been friends forever. He couldn't let those eyes down. John shut his eyes tight, making sure to avoid everyone's stares.

“Guys, we should come clean…” Third mistake. John motioned everyone to the clay making table. John took a few uneasy breaths as everyone settled down around him. He braced himself for whatever came next. “We killed Billy...”

Alex's POV
“You wHAT?!” Lafayette threw his hand over my mouth. “Shush, child!” I shall not be silenced! I licked the palm of his hand which smelt and tasted like crayons. Don't ask how I know, I just do. “Ew!!” I successfully made Gilbert move his hands from my mouth. Oh right! Billy.

I shot each one of the squad a look of concern. “Who and how did you kill Billy?!” A weird silence fell upon us like an itchy blanket. Hercules was the first to remove the itchy blanket. “It was a warm September day…”

A Warm September Day: A Week Before School Starts
It happened a week before school started. John Laurens, Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de La Fayette, and Hercules Mulligan played happily with trucks. Monster truck.

“VROOOOOOOM!! I'VE GOT A NEED FOR SPEED!! GET OUT OF MY WAY!!” John rammed his truck through a wall of blocks hitting the side of Laf’s toy armoured car. “DOWN WITH SOCIETY!!”

Hercules giggled while rebuilding the wall. “What do you know about society John?” John vroomed around with the truck.

“Society is a set of social rules and construct set in place by “the Man” to which most of us have or choose to abide to in order to ‘fit in’ with what is considered the ‘norm.’”

“...”

“...”

“...”

“...”

“Can you speak English, Aaron?” Hercules questioned. Aaron rolled his eyes and continued writing his wish list for Santa. Once John asked what he was doing, Aaron simply replied, “Keeping on top of my list making.”

Meanwhile, John and Lafayette nyoomed around the classroom slamming into a blond haired boy with very nice shoes to the ground. “Ow…” The kid curled up into a fetal position while Lafayette and John smiled even after their car crash. “What a car accident, huh? Hi, I'm John!”

Lafayette had a look of confusion in his eye as he studied the kid on the floor. He wore a name tag that read “Billy” and a pair of black Converse. “Uh..John... I do not think he is okay.” Billy stayed in a motionless ball on the ground with his eyes screwed shut. John took a closer look. A wave of terror washed out the sunshine. “Oh no… We have to tell Hercules.”

⭐⭐⭐

“Hercules, we killed someone!” John was almost in tears. Lafayette hugged his son tightly to calm him down. Hercules almost screamed and shook his head “You two need to be more careful! We have to hide the body… Where is he?” Lafayette let go of John and pointed to the last place they saw Billy. “He's… he is gone!” Hercules shrugged. “Maybe the body hid himself?”

John let out a loud cry startling Hercules, Lafayette, and everyone within a ten feet radius. “I d-don’t want to go to big boy timeout!” Hercules patted his shoulder. “No one's going to the big house. We'll make a pact. No one can tell anyone about this.” Hercules held up his pinky finger. “Promise?” Lafayette linked his finger with Hercules’. “Promise!” John wiped away his tears and linked his finger around the other two. “Promise.”

Present
“...and we haven't seen Billy since.” Hercules finished. I stared at them with admiration and shock. “Whoa… That's hardcore.” John nodded, wiping away shedded tears. I hugged John. Sunshine Boy shall not be covered by the raining of tears.

Lafayette spoke up. “There you go! Now you know that we are murderers. You CANNOT tell anyone.”

“I won't.” I try to assure them, mostly John. Still something seemed off about the story. “It's kind of weird though.” John turned to me. “What do you mean?”

“I mean,” I look at the note again then back at them. “Bodies can't hide themselves.”