Chapter 7: When in Rivendell

Gandalf and Elrond greeted each other with joy and spoke in an elvish tongue for a while. Most of the Dwarves were angry and cautious but were happy again when Elrond offered a feast and welcomed the company inside. Maya smiled brightly and thanked Lindir and Lord Elrond. When she entered, her jaw dropped for she had never seen a place so beautiful and peaceful in her entire life. Elves served the company and some played a relaxing tune on the harp and flute.

"Hello." Kili said and sat next to Maya.

         "Hey there champion." she replied and he chuckled.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Anything."

"Would you like to-" Kili was trying to say but the Dwarves started talking over them loudly.

        "Try it, just a mouthful." said Dori to his younger brother, Ori.

"I don't like green food." he replied.

    "Where's the meat?" asked Dwalin.

        "Oh come now my Dwarves its not that bad." Maya persuaded.

"Its disgusting!" whined Ori.

        "Here, close your eyes." instructed Maya, she got up and sat next to Ori, he looked at her with a confused face. "Close your eyes!" she instructed again and he did. "Now imagine a steak, big and juicy."

Ori was quiet for a while as he was trying to imagine a steak. "Yes, yes i can imagine it now." he said, his mouth starting to water.

        "Now open your mouth I'm going to feed you a piece of that delicious steak." Ori opened his mouth wide. All the Dwarves were staring curiously and in awe. Maya then got a piece of lettuce and put it in Ori's mouth repeating that it's steak. Ori happily chewed and swallowed it then opened his eyes.

"That was not steak Maya."

         She and all the Dwarves laughed. "But it was good wasn't it?" she asked.

"It wasn't... bad." he replied.

"Then fill your stomach with steak." she smiled and returned to her seat next to Kili. He stared at her, astonished, he looked at the other Dwarves who were happily munching on their green food.

"How on earth did you do that?" he asked her with amazement.

        "Is that what you were going to ask me?" she said jokingly. Kili grinned.

"No." he thought to himself.

A few minutes later Nori exclaimed:

"Change the tune will you? i feel like I'm at a funeral!"

        "No need to be rude Nori." said Maya.

"Alright lads there's only one thing for it!" Bofur said and began to sing:

"There's an inn, there's an inn, there's a merry old inn

beneath an old grey hill,

and there they brew a beer so brown,

The Man on the Moon himself came down, one nigh to drink his fill,

The ostler has a tipsy cat, that plays a five-stringed fiddle;

and up and down he saws his bow

Now squeaking high, now purring low,

Now sawing in the middle,