Chapter 12: Beorn's

Maya was reading her book as they walked. She froze and read a sentence that shocked her and left her mouth partly open as her eyes reread the words over again.

"What is it, Miss Bain?" Gandalf asked.

        "G..Gandalf," she said, "... the book says you will be leaving us." she looked up at him with fear.

Gandalf laughed, "No my dear, I highly doubt that! I am very sure that I will stay."

        "Well, somethings have not gone exactly like the book. Maybe you're right." she smiled faintly. Gandalf grinned and walked to converse with Thorin as Maya continued to read.

   "You are always reading that same book, it must be a good one." Kili said as he approached her from behind.

        "It's... interesting, but it can also be scary, sometimes horrifying."

   "Well it's just a book, I'm sure none of it is even real."

        Maya didn't reply to him, which left him frowning and wondering what he said wrong that maybe upset her.

"We are almost there." said Gandalf as they walked into a field with beautiful horses and bees that were bigger than your fist. They had been walking for about thirty minutes, which was enough time for Maya to finish reading one chapter. Gandalf turned and faced the Company, "I should warn you now..." he said, "...Beorn is a skin-changer. Sometimes he is a big strong man, sometimes he is a huge black bear. However, he is not overfond of Dwarves. Unfortunately, at this point we have no other choice, but to try asking for his help."

      "A skin-changer?" asked Bilbo, "I have never heard of one of those before."

"Hold on! I can't hear a word you're sayin'!" said Oin. Maya chuckled. "Here, give me your trumpet." she said loudly and he handed her his trumpet that was squished back in Goblin Town. She knelt and placed the trumpet under her foot. She slowly and carefully put pressure on it as she turned it until it was more or less in shape once again. She gave it back to Oin and Gandalf continued to speak.

"I do believe he is the last of his kind." said he, "I'm sure that when we arrive, he will tell us his story, he is one that is fond of storytelling. He enjoys it. Come, we must arrive before sunset." he grinned faintly, turned around, and continued to walk as the others followed.

        Later on, they had found a large plain, and a house in the middle. It was surrounded by a tall wooden gate full of roots that had grown all around it. They had walked up to it and glared in awe. It was quite a sight. They could see tall trees and gardens inside, beautiful horses galloped near a barn that was by the gate. They were about to walk in when Gandalf slowly turned and stood in front of them. "Beorn is not one that has much patience," he said, "you will all need to form a line of two pairs. Mind, about five minutes between each pair of you before you enter. Bilbo and I will go first. Thorin and Dwalin next, then Nori and Ori. Balin and Dori. Oin and Gloin, Bifur and Bofur. Fili, Kili, and Maya will go all together, and Bombur will be last, he is big enough for two." they all scrambled around to find their pairs as Gandalf spoke. He scanned the Company and made sure they were in their places. "Try to be on your best behavior, try not to say anything foolish. And don't ask any personal questions. Come, Master Baggins." with that he turned and walked away with Bilbo by his side. The poor Hobbit looked terrified by the way Gandalf described Beorn. A few minutes after the Wizard and Hobbit had entered, the Company began to chat, conversing about Beorn and what he would be like.

        Maya stood next to Kili as he and his brother watched Thorin and Dwalin enter Beorn's large gate. However, she happened to look behind her and notice Bombur's frown, he was looking away and quietly grumbled a few words under his breath. She knew why he was not happy, and she didn't like to see anyone unhappy. She gently placed her hand on Kili's shoulder, he turned back and she smiled at him, her hand left his shoulder as she casually stepped beside Bombur. Kili was confused at first, but then realized why she joined Bombur, he grinned and his heart lifted, he turned back to Fili and whispered something to him, Fili looked back at Maya and smiled, he turned back and the brothers started to chat again.