Telling them bad news {2}

"U-um guys. I have bad news." I say, hiding the cast that embraced my now numb hand behind my back.

"Out with it shrimp" Tobio replies, his face deadpan as ever. I've always found it kinda funny, how we were enemies, and then team mates, then friends. It would seem like an unlikely friendship, but it happened regardless and I couldn't be happier. I mean... Ive always kinda hoped we might become mORE than friends, but... knowing that Kageyama was probably the most straight guy I knew, and that he would never date me anyways it sorta put that fantasy out of mind...

Wait wait wait, back to the now please back to the present yes thank you.

The anxiety swimming in my head darkens as I take a deep breath. I swallow back a sob that's about to escape as I blink back tears threatening to spill.

I let out the shakiest breath of my life... and reveal my cast. I inhale sharply as the room goes silent, realisation hitting each of my teammates one by one. As my voice shakes uncontrollably I croak out,

"I broke my hand, so I'll be unable to play volleyball for the next 6 months." I say, trying my hardest to hold back tears.

"I'll still be able to come to practice and watch you guys play, I just... won't be in the court." I swallow.

"As soon as I'm better I'm coming back. Kay? It'll just be a small setback is all..." I inhale again as if I'd just been sprinting for miles. I tear my eyes of the ground and manage to peek a glance at the rest of the team.

I watch their sad, disappointed, worried, and shocked faces. Suga looks the most worried out of all of them, Daichi and Ennoshita the most understanding.

But Kageyama...

His face is full of rage.

"Why are you so fucking stupid Dumbass!? We have a tournament coming up!? We practiced so hard and came up with new strategies?! Are you really gonna put that all to waste!? Are you really going to leave us like that!? You useless piece of trash!! No one needed you and as soon as you become of use you fucking ditch on us like a coward!!"

That...stings... Those words coming from him. I visibly wince when I hear those being yelled at me. He looks absolutely furious. I have never seen him so angry. I force back tears I fear will spill from his anger and really fucking hurtful words. I don't care that fuck is a bad word. Tobio's words really fucking hurt alright?!

But it is true... those words he said...

'No', I force myself to think.

I couldn't break down yet.

I put my brave mask on and scream at the top of my lungs,

"DO YOU REALLY THINK I WANT THIS?! DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT THIS WAS AN EXCUSE TO LEAVE YOU?!" I shout, hot tears finally streaming down my face,

"WELL GUESS WHAT! I DONT WANT THIS EITHER! I DONT WANT TO SIT ON THE BENCH AND NOT EVEN BE THERE AS BACK UP! I DONT WANT TO SIT IN MY ROOM FOR SIX MONTHS BECAUSE OF MY HAND! I WANT TO FEEL THE BALL IN MY PALM! I WANT TO SLAM IT TO THE GROUND! BUT I CANT! I CANT BECAUSE IM SO WEAK!" My face stained with hot tears, breathing heavily through my nose,

"I LOVE VOLLEYBALL! I THOUGHT YOU KNEW THAT! BUT NOW I CANT BE WITH THE CLOSEST OF FRIENDS IVE EVER HAD BECAUSE OF THIS STUPID HAND! ICANT PLAY VOLLEYBALL FOR HALF A YEAR! I CANT BE ON COURT AND WIN WITH YOU GUYS! ITS NOT FUN BEING USELESS! AND I KNOW THAT FROM EXPERIENCE!!"
I was raging now.

"I-I can't! I-I feel so weak! I feel like I've betrayed you all! The tournament is in a month. I feel, like I'm the crow of the pack with no wings to fly, slowing everyone down.... IF YOU THINK IT SUCKS TO HAVE A TEAMMATE SUDDENLY LEAVE HOW DO YOU THINK I FEEL?! HOW DO YOU THINK THIS MAKES M E FEEL?!"

I was seething. I didn't care that I looked like a red snotty mess, I was angry and I was sad and I was just so confused as to why this was happening to me.

"I—I'm sorry—" I whisper out, before I turn back, my head low, and run right out of the gym.

Im running like I'd never run before.

Im running for my pride

From my friends.

And running into darkness.

Alone.