«Chapter Seven» Bad Trouble At School

Spidey and I swung over to the school so fast, time seemed to stand still. I was worrying about what would happen to the students. What if Kaine hurt them? What if he planned to blow up the whole place so he could destroy us? What if- yeah. To many 'what ifs'.
     Spidey and I both landed on the school roof.
     "What are we going to do?" I asked him quietly.
Spidey looked as puzzled as I felt, "Well, we can't go in there with our suits. That would draw way to much attention. So, we maybe should go in there under cover, find Kaine before he does something we'll all be regretting."
"Sounds good to me," I replied, wishing I was as good as making the plans.
I say we keep our distance, Phantom urged, We still don't know the extent of your damage.
     "You coming?" Spidey looked back at me.
     "Yeah, coming," I ran over to Spidey, letting my suit morph off of my body; Phantom grumbling.
***
"-so you see. We can't have no lallygagging." the coach yelled at everyone in gym.
I wanted very badly to yell back at him that the way he said it made it so we could lollygag. Or whatever that meant.
"Anyone in here seem suspicious to you?" Peter whispered softly.
I looked around the wide gym room. Some of the kids were doing push-ups, some crunches, others ran laps. None that I could see looked like a murderer from a different planet.
"Nope," I mumbled, pulling myself up on the exercise bar again, "Unless you count couch."
Coach Gildsen ran after a student who had stole his whistle.
"Not a very good suspect," Peter chuckled, pulling himself up beside me, "What about . . . her?"
He pointed to a sassy looking girl with blonde hair and enough makeup for a Halloween party. She was 'stretching' while talking to her friends.
"Yeah- I don't think so," I couldn't help but laugh.
Take this seriously! Phantom hissed, This isn't a game, Sparrow.
"Aw, lighten up, bud," I whispered, pretending to have difficulty pulling myself up again, "We'll find the creep and take him down. No worries."
Phantom went silent.
     Coach finally got his whistle back and blew three sharp shots, "Everyone, back to the wall, NOW."
     Peter and I scrambled down from the bar and lined up against the wall with the rest of the students.
     Coach stood in front of everyone, "All right, everyone thinks they're so smart. Time to see where smarts gets you! Each of you will run the course, any mistake, detention!"
The class groaned.
"Two at a time, let's go!" Coach yelled, pointing to the track.
"We can't do good in this," Peter muttered, "I've done this before, and if we do this like spiders, well, you know."
"They'll figure out who we are." I said under my breath.
     After Makeup Face and her partner, Peter and I came to the end of the line. Coach glared at us, "What are you two talking about?"
     Before we could answer, he barked, "No talking! Go! Before I make you run twice around."
     Peter and I sprinted down the track, not wanting any more work than we already had.
     The wall that we usually climbed for exercise was coming up. Peter jumped, making a big deal as he slowly scaled the wall.
     I tried doing the same thing, but my body wouldn't do what I wanted. I easily jumped over the other side and kept running.
     "Phantom, what's going on?! I'm supposed to be in blending in mode, remember?" I said frantically, as I jumped over four boards stacked on top of each other.
     This is a waste of time, Phantom grumbled, I'm speeding up the process so we can get to real work.
"No, no, bad idea!" I yelped as I vaulted over the sand box, swinging on the rope above, and landing flawlessly in front of the Coach.
     He looked at me with a sour expression.
     I stepped off the mat, and for good measure, tripped and fell flat on my face.
     The room burst out laughing as Peter came over and helped me up. Quietly leading me over to the edge of the room, Peter sighed, "Dude, what happened out there?"
     "Uh, I just have trouble with controlling my powers," I lied.
     Peter shrugged it off, "Okay, let's just keep it low. I think we should keep looking for Kaine, out of civilian sights."
I agreed, "Right. But how-" I couldn't finish. The blinding pain shot through my core again.
Falling to my knees, I clutched my head, "Argh! Peter, get everyone out of here! Now!"
Phantom yelled over the top of my own yelling, Kaine has a bomb planted in the school!
Coach ran over, "What's happening?"
"He has a sprained ankle," Peter quickly summed up, "I have to take him to the nurse's office."
Without another word, Peter helped me out of the gym.
I pushed myself up, "I'm fine. We have to get everyone out of here. Kaine's planted a bomb somewhere in the school grounds."
"Wait, how do you know that?" Peter asked, shocked.
     "Spider sense," I said quickly, "Now let's go!"
     Peter and I ran through the hall, quickly changing into our suits. Thankfully, classes were in session, so no one saw us.
     "You think they'll believe us?" I asked.
     "They better," Peter said grimly, "Or this whole school will be done for. And everyone'll go down with the ship."