«Chapter Seventeen» Teleporter

Carnage and Venom set to work binding Kaine to a tree. Peter and Toxin were having an argument about chicken enchiladas and beef enchiladas.
"Chicken's better."
"Beef."
"Come on, chicken's got all the good stuff."
"Beef."
"Enchiladas with chicken is really good. You gotta admit that!"
"Beef."
Peter finally gave up the fight.
Anti-Venom and I stood a ways back. He was sharpening a huge blue crystal; some how it didn't seem to bother him that it was electrical.
"What are you doing?" I asked blankly.
"We have to make a portal source for Kaine to cast his magic on. When we used to live here, we would use these for teleportation." He replied.
"So, Kaine, assuming he'll help us, will cast his powers onto the crystal and the portal will magically appear?" I asked.
     There's a lot more to it, but that would take too long to explain. Phantom said.
I didn't push them for an explanation, so I sat down on a boulder.
My hand automatically turned the singed dragon scale around. Nothing was left of my friend but just a piece of scale.
I wanted so badly to just walk over to Kaine and stab him through the heart. I wanted to see him suffer for what he did.
      Look, I know you feel bad for what happened to Riptide, Phantom said, But killing Kaine won't help anything. Especially when you need him to get home.
I squeezed the scale in my hand, "But why? I never asked for any of this! Riptide- he . . . He sacrificed himself for me. I'm supposed to be a super hero, not someone who needs to be saved."
Phantom scoffed, You saved the entire school, remember? I know you blame yourself for Riptide's death, but it wasn't your fault.
"And how wasn't it?" I demanded, getting up and starting to pace, "I could have listened to you and bonded sooner, or at least faced Kaine on my own. I let Riptide take the fall for my mistake!"
     Phantom didn't answer for a while. Then, We all make mistakes. But listen, you can't worry about this. You're exhausted, hungry, and need I mention your mother?
     I sighed, "Right. Let's just get this over with."
And Sparrow, Phantom growled, No unplanned detours.
He knows. He knew I wanted to kill Kaine.
Anti-Venom called everyone over to his clearing. His hand held the dagger of blue crystal which he handled like a stick of dynamite.
"Once he awakens, I will talk to Kaine alone," Anti-Venom said, "If he cooperates, I will hold the crystal up and you all can come beside us."
I sighed, "Then we use the crystal to make a portal and go back to New York, yeah. I think we get it."
I didn't mean to sound rude, but I was tired and wasn't in the mood.
Toxin grunted, "Eat?"
Carnage smacked him upside the head, "Shut up you idiot."
I could see a full fledged fight start to brew between them, so I stepped back.
"Stop," Anti-Venom snapped, "The prisoner is awake."
He was right. Kaine was watching us with a hint of humor in his eyes.
Rage washed over my emotions, threatening to break out. Phantom must have noticed, Don't. Hold it and save it.
Anti-Venom stalked forward towards the Hunter and snarled too quiet for me to hear. By the look on Kaine's face, Anti-Venom wasn't breaking him.
     Venom shoved me, "You ssshould threaten him. He killed your dragon."
     The thought was tempting, but before I could walk over there, Peter stepped in my way.
     "I know how much your hurting," Peter said tightly, "But I also know that you want revenge. Trust me, revenge is something that always bites you back."
     I shook my head, "I might be able to get through to him. I mean, yeah. I'm just me. But what if I can?"
     Peter shrugged, "Anti-Venom doesn't seem to be making a difference, so- maybe you should."
     Phantom hesitated, I agree with Peter. Just keep it only on the portal subject. Nothing else.
     I walked over to Anti-Venom, and quietly spoke to him, "Hey. Do you mind if I could talk to him?"
     He looked up at me, "Are you sure?"
     I nodded.
     With a sigh, he left.
      "So. The failed hero returns!" Kaine chuckled, as if I were the one tied up and being interrogated, "You have a desire to kill me. I can smell it on you."
     I clenched my teeth, "I'm here to ask you to charge this crystal. We need to get back to New York."
     Kaine hissed, "That place, eh? Don't understand why you like it so much. But I have to say no. I will not help you. Your friend has already tried to . . . convince me."
     Phantom growled, Stupid Hunter.
     "I know you don't want to help," I said, struggling to keep my cool, "But I swear, if you don't help us. I will kill you. I would love to right now, but we need you, and I'm not destroying our only chance to get back."
     Kaine laughed, "You've got spark." He paused for minute, deep in thought. Then he smiled, "All right. Give me the crystal and I'll charge it for you."
Is he serious? Phantom asked.
      I frowned and called over to the others, my eye still focused on Kaine, "Guys? Can I have the crystal?"
    Anti-Venom came over and handed the glittering rock to me. I took it gingerly and set it in Kaine's outstretched hand.
     His hand glowed, the blue energy draining out of the crystal and turning a deep purple.

     I took the crystal from him

     I took the crystal from him. Too my surprise, Kaine didn't even hesitate. Was it just my imagination, or was he cooperating?
     Anti-Venom took the glowing rock and whispered, "Come. We have what we came for."
     Playing along, I got up and followed him.
      He planted the crystal in the center of the clearing.
     "One person touches it at a time," Anti-Venom said, "The person will immediately be teleported to where their destination is. Try to think only of New York and nothing else."
     Peter smiled, "That'll he easy."
     He walked up to the crystal and gently touched it. With a bright flash, he was gone.
     One after the other, the brothers vanished along with Peter, until only Toxin was left.
     He looked at me and grunted, "Food."
     I watched him teleport away.
Come on, Phantom urged, Let's just get out of here. The crystal only has enough power left for you.
     My eyes trailed over to Kaine. I wanted to kill him so badly. But another part of me didn't. What Peter had said seemed to make sense. Revenge isn't the way.
     I clenched my fists, "Kaine, don't ever come near me or my planet again."
     The Hunter smirked, "No promises, kid."
     I stormed over to him, "I promise you, I won't be so kind next time. If I see you again, you'll be dead."
     My hand held on to the smooth scale from Riptide. Every fiber of anger in my body screamed for Kaine's death, but I turned and walked away.
     I put my finger on the crystal; there was a blinding flash, and my vision went completely white.