«Chapter Eleven» Extra Credit

"So you're one of them?" Peter asked, looking up at the sun.
"Yeah, yeah I guess you could say that. But I'm not evil and I'm controlling my own thoughts. Phantom's not a killer, although he didn't really ask to join my body." I muttered the last part towards Phantom.
Phantom sounded like he was grinning, You take what you need! Asking usually takes to long.
Dude, I'm trying to get you on the good guys' side. Shut up already. I snapped, not necessarily wanting to say that out loud.
"Riiight," Peter said, stopping just outside of my apartment , "Well, at least you're more powerful with a symbiote. Trust me, I used to be apart of Venom." He caught the look on my face, "Long story."
I looked up at my floor and sighed, "I'll see you tonight at the library then."
Peter still looked hesitant, "Yeah. Totally cool. Going to a study session with four super bad guys! How fun."
"Tell me about it," I rubbed my head, "See you later, Peter."
I opened the door to the apartment, not really thinking mom would be back from the restaurant yet.
     Shutting the door behind me, I heard a small laugh from the kitchen.
     "Mom? Is that you?" I asked, hanging my sweater up behind the door.
     "I'm the kitchen, sweetheart. I have someone to introduce to you!" Mom called happily.
     "What?" I turned the corner, my jaw hitting my chest.
     A guy with shoulder length, black hair was sitting at our kitchen table, sitting across from my mom.
     My mom smiled and got up, "Sparrow, I'd like you to meet Hunter. You know, the one I told you about?"
     I was too busy gawking at the guy. He was handsome, so I knew why mom had fallen for him. But he was unnerving. He turned, looking straight at me with a cold expression.
     As soon as his eyes met mine, a throbbing pain shot through my chest. It was like Kaine's dagger being stabbed into me all over again.
     I winced and crossed my arms, "Oh yeah. C-cool. Nice to meet y-you."
     Hunter smiled, looking like a wolf, "Good to meet you, Sparrow."
     Phantom had gone eerily silent, and I had a gnawing feeling that I knew this guy. The pain in my body was starting to really hurt, so I turned to my mom, trying not to grimace, "I'm going to bed, okay? Schoolwork."
     Mom tilted her head with a worried look, "Are you okay?"
     I gasped for breath, "Yeah! R-ran the whole way h-home."
     In the doorway, I turned and saw Hunter for the last time. He smiled, a knowing look on his face, and then it clicked.
This guy was Kaine.
     I stumbled upstairs and fumbled with my phone, trying to dial Peter's number. Just saying, trying to dial a number while your whole body is wracking in pain . . . It's hard.
Hands shaking, I finally got Peter's phone up.
     "Come on, come on, pick up." I muttered.
Kaine. I should've known. Hunter is Kaine. Phantom kept saying over and over again.
     My suit suddenly materialized around me, sealing the black inkish stuff that was spreading across my chest.
"Dude, I don't need the suit right now!" I said, growling at the phone's black screen. It taunted me like, Haha! I will play dead and you will die! Haha!
I threw the phone out the window, "Fine. We're going to the library. We need to save my mom from a seriously messed up boyfriend."
***
"Scarlet! What took you so long?" Spidey called as I landed on the library roof.
The four symbiotes were lazing around the roof like teenagers at a sleepover. I would have laughed if I hadn't been so urgent.
"So bad, so freaking bad. Why did this have to happen?!" I yelled, making all of them jump.
I paced the roof, "Had to happen, huh? Of course he had to go for the only person I CARE ABOUT!"
     Spidey got up, "Dude what happened? And why is your suit stained?"
     Anti-Venom looked at me curiously while Toxin grunted, "Sparrow freaked."
     I felt Phantom's anger flare, "Oh, what HAPPENED?! Well, let's see. Mom's boyfriend is a deranged alien who wants to kill me; my dagger wound is spreading, and, oh yeah! I'm working with YOU!"
     Realizing what I said, I toned it down a bit, "Sorry. I'm just- a little shaken."
     Venom looked at Carnage, "Sssparrow hasss trouble with hisss sssocial life."
     "It's not- " I breathed for a minute, "Kaine's using my mom against me. I'm pretty sure if I try to stop him, he'll do something to my mom."
Anti-Venom seemed to understand my predicament, "I understand. We have to end Kaine tonight. You have risked your life to help us, the least we could do is help you keep your mother safe."
I was a little shocked that he said that. He was a bad guy after all, why would he do something like that for me?
"Thanks. You really don't know how much that means to me," I said, sitting down on the edge of the roof.
Anti-Venom growled softly, "Must work together. I am no villain, and I wish to help you."
     Carnage snarled, "Going soft?"
     Venom seemed to agree, "Try to ssstop usss from our reign, brother?"
They argue a lot, Phantom sighed, like he'd been through this multiple times.
     Spidey looked between the brothers, and backed away from the fire.
     "You stop us, you are no brother of ours."
     "Hey, we have alwaysss been brothersss. Even after you ate me."
     "That was an accident!"
     "I like cake."
     The last comment came from Toxin, who was sitting a little too close to me. He smiled, which showed off his pointed teeth, "Tastes good."
     Silence covered the roof. Spidey and I exchanged glances, trying not to laugh.
     Then all the humor melted out of the air. Even if it was already night, I could have sworn the night got ten times more dark.
     "He is here," Anti-Venom hissed, looking nervous.
     The dull familiar pain flickered across my chest. I didn't want to turn around, but I did anyway.
     Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but Kaine used to be scary enough, right? So why the heck did he have to have an evil makeover?
     He had a hood covered over his face, but I could clearly see his eyes. They glowed purple, like holes of death. If that's a thing. He now looked like a demonic alien cat thing. Like I said. Evil makeover.
     "This is too perfect. All the diseased ones in my trap." His voice radiated from under his hood.
     "I'm really starting to wish we thought up a plan instead of talking about cake." Spidey muttered.