Chapter 12

Trav came to in a cell feeling like someone had knocked him upside the head. The guard must have use a confounder spell. They had a nasty kick. He'd recognize it anywhere. He and the other rarer magical species of his school were sometimes called upon to test out certain spells under varying conditions – like for example if they could penetrate stone.

So yeah he'd had pretty much everything thrown at him. Everything but death curses. That's how fucked up the council truly is. Anything is permissible where Halfbloods are concerned. He and everyone else in his school are the true expendables. Sorry Sylvester, Jason, Jet and Dolph. They corner the market on throw away warriors.

He didn't have to wonder where he was; he and his crew had spent days here after the Samhain Ball. He was at the guards headquarters, but why? So the alarm had gone off. Did they really think he would terrorize his own school?

Why had the thing gone off anyway? What was up with the stupid machine? His friends had all gone through without a sound, but as soon as he tried to go through the thing went nuts.

Either he was having epically shitty luck these days or someone was trying to screw with him. First he gets sprayed, then something starts following him home and then he sets off the detector. If he had any brains whatsoever he was sure the answer to this craziness would be simple to figure out, but it wasn't.

Suddenly the door swung open and two guards marched in, being led by the Captain of the New Recruits. He'd heard of him, but had never met him.

The guy surveyed the room with the intensity of a bird of prey, but when his rich brown eyes turned to scrutinize him; he couldn't help but shiver. He didn't know what kind of halfblood creature he was -- magical or otherwise, but the guy took intimidation to a whole new level.

The two nameless guards stood at attention behind him like well trained dogs just awaiting his orders. That spoke to the respect he must demand. The guy was built. Not remotely as built as him, but that didn't stop Travis from knowing without a shadow of a doubt that this guy could take him in a fight.

His body was all corded muscle as he prowled the room like a caged animal all the while Travis watched his movements with a wary eye. If the rumours were true; then he knew he could strike with the speed of a cobra. Whatever affinity he had, it must have to do with fighting skills, and if that was the case, if the captain chose to mess him up, he knew he didn't stand a chance.

He shocked Trav though when instead of attacking; he crouched on his haunches in front of him to get down to eye level and entwined his fingers together over his muscular thighs. This was probably the most vulnerable stance a potential combatant could take. He either wanted to put him at ease or he was trying to tell him that he knew he was no threat. Either one worked for Travis.

When he locked him in his eagle eyed stare again Trav decided to break the ice.

"Hey D-d-dude. I mean C-c-captain," Trav stammered, "Y-y-you are the Captain right?"