Chapter Nine

〰〰➰〰〰

THE BRIGHT sun rises slowly over the horizons as the rays land on my face. Wiping the beads of sweat on my forehead using the back of my hand, I continue to pedal my bike in a more faster pace.

Standing in front of Lily's house, I take a deep breath and hit the doorbell.

"Okay, I'm coming!" she yells.

As I tap my foot on the ground, the door opens and she stands there with an apron hanging around her neck and a spatula on her hand.

She guides me in and let me sit on one of their sofas. "Before we discuss about something, let me finish my business first, okay?"

I bobble my head, then she walks away from me with a panic speed—probably, the food is getting too cooked.

That's when I travel my eyes around the room which I'm occupying and see a woman stepping down the stairs. For sure, this is Lily's mother since they have complexion similarities and the woman has wrinkles in each corners.

She gives me a warm beam. "Are you Lily's friend, my dear?" she asks.

Nodding my head with a slight smile, I stand up and offer her a handshake. "Yes, Mrs. Folkerson. I-I-It's so nice to meet you."

The door from what I assume is the kitchen opens and Lily walks in without the spatula and apron on.

Her forehead wrinkles as she strides toward her mother and hold her back. "Mom! You shouldn't be walking out of your bed!"

Her mom lets out a heavy cough like she's having a hard time to breathe, then smiles at her. "I'm okay, darling. I heard you have a visitor so I entertained her."

She guides her mom to sit on the rocking chair which is located in the balcony with lots of flower vases. When she comes back to me, she grabs my hand and makes me sit back on the sofa again.

Pinching her nose while staring at me, she asks, "Is the stalker bothering you again?"

I blink a few times before shaking my head. "That's not what I'm here for, L-L-Lily."

She looks at her mother then back at me, leaning a bit with narrowing eyes. "Then what? I'm pretty sure you're not here just because you wanted to eat here."

"Did you g-g-give my address to Luis?"

Her eyes widen as she starts to chuckle and shake her head. "No way, Helena! Why the heck would I give him your address, knowing that your dad's not in the mood for boys? I mean, c'mon, Hele–"

"S-S-S-So, you didn't?"

She stops on chuckling then shakes her head once again. "I repeat, I did not. Why? Did he do something, Helena?"

Biting my lower lip, my heart never stopped on running back and forth in a rushing way. If she didn't give my address to him, then why did he come to my house last two days? I never gave my address to anyone since I do not trust them, and Luis is a boy.

But, how?

"H-H-He came to my house two days ago and told me that y-y-you're the one who gave him my home address," I whisper with a trembling voice.

Her shoulders stiffen as her eyes widen. "He...what? W-What the hell, Helena?! I never gave it, I swear!"

"Lilly, why are you shouting?! Are you okay?!" her mom shouts in a worried tone from the balcony.

She brushes her palm on her face then massages her temple. "Mom, I'm fine, okay?!"

My mouth opens when she stands up from her seat. "Where are y-y-y-you going?"

"I'm going to talk to that guy personally, Helena. He's making my image bad in your eyes, and I won't tolerate that."

She steps her foot, but I grab her hand to stop her from doing so.

"D-Don't, please. Let him be..."

At first, she only stares at me without saying a word, but then she lets out a heavy sigh and sits back beside me.

"Look, I won't be fooled by his gentle nature. All I'm saying here is, don't easily fall for his super nice side," she mutters as she grabs my hands and squeezes it in a soft manner.

I nod my head and give her a weak smile. "Thanks for the c-c-concern, Lily."

***

THE WHOLE living room is dead silent, consumed by the darkness ever since I stepped in. While biting down my lip, I grope to the wall to search for the switch, and when it opens, I see my dad sleeping on the couch without creating a snore. My eyes scan all over the place and spot the bottles of beer scatter everywhere.

I close the door behind, being too careful not to create any creaking sound. As I walk pass him, something catches my attention, making me stop beside him and look at the thing he is holding.

I narrow my eyes and lean a bit to get a better look at it, and it is a picture. I would look at him then back at the piece of paper in his grasp. Being too cautious, I slide it off of his hand in a slow motion, which I succeed to get.

I gaze at it and see that it is a picture of the backyard. That makes me really confuse on how would he capture that place without any reasons? The back of this house is only surrounded by trees and river, other than that, there's nothing special in it. My dad used to tell me not to go in the forest since it is too secluded, and a girl like me shouldn't go in there.

But the more he strictly gives orders, the more I become more curious as I get older.

I look down at the picture again, and just by seeing this thing makes me wanna know what's in there. The picture is too dark but can clearly state the image of the soil bulging, like it contains something.

Curiosity kills the cat, but I know that sometimes when you're curious, there's a chance that someone's hiding something from you.

I put the picture inside my shoulder bag and rush toward the bedroom. Tomorrow, I've decided to check what's in that forest because this is my only chance to discover everything. I have many questions inside my brain, and those questions need to be answered.

I let out a heavy sigh and switch off the lamp beside the bed, closing my eyes to drift into a peaceful slumber.

〰〰➰〰〰

Vote and comment if you liked the chapter!

-Faller❤