Prologue - Vengeance

3 years after Orfeo's death . . .

The mermaid peered over her hiding spot.

Right there, right in front of her, was her worst enemy. Another merl, this one with copper scales and pink fins, sat patiently on a coral bench. Her posture was relaxed, but her fingers kept on twitching. It was like she was afraid of something.

Good. The mermaid in the shadows thought. She looked around. No one was in sight. She carefully crawled back down the giant boulder and silently took her dagger out of it's sheath. Of course she could've just cast a simple darksong, but she wanted to feel this. Experience it. She gripped the dagger tightly in her hand and made her way back up the rock. The mermaid sitting on the bench didn't notice anything amiss, in fact, she was focused on a group of small bioluminescent jellies. She was totally ignorant of her surroundings at that moment. It was perfect for an assassination.

A small smile began to form on the merl's lips. She had waited days, months, years to do this. Ever since she was little, she had always wanted to be the regina. Her wish had finally come true! She had all the power. But only for a couple moons. The scowl she was used to finally popped back up. Everything was ruined. Everything. By her. She had to get her revenge.

The assassin crouched, ready to lunge at her prey. It was time.

"Hey Sera! How are you?" Another mermaid swam up, this one with long jet black hair. She was wearing a short turquoise sea silk dress and was glowing with delight. Literally.

"Oh, hi Neela! I've been waiting for you! What took you so long?" Sera got up from her bench and the two mermaids began to chat.

Squid eggs. The mermaid in the shadows cursed. She couldn't kill her now. But wait... Another smile formed, more evil than the last. She could kill them both now. She readied her dagger, quietly changing her position so she could slit both their throats. It was quick, but not quick enough. Ten guards showed up in a second, looking like they'd been swimming fast. It seems that Neela had ditched them for a couple minutes.

The mermaid couldn't believe her terrible luck. She'd had a perfect shot, but she missed. She would have to consult with the ghost empty handed now.

As the group swam away, the merl sat down on the silt floor and thought about a new idea for the sixth time. How was she ever going to accomplish anything if she couldn't even do a simple assassination? She carefully pondered her choices.

And then she got it.

There were other ways to get revenge.