Chapter 11 - Plans

Astrid looked sullen as she awaited her fate. She had tried to make a deal with the dragons -- if she could kill the strange beast terrorizing them, they had to give her a safe passage to Ondalina. Of course, they didn't trust her, and made an awful lot of grumbling and arguing.

"You there," Girta snapped. Girta was a swamp-green dragon who seemed to have a terrible temper. "The Chief would like to see you."

Astrid groaned as she swam up. After being chained to the dark corner for so many hours -- maybe even days, who knew -- Astrid's tail was beginning to cramp. Girta unlocked Astrid's bonds and led her to another room in the maze-like cave. The room was filled with treasures of all sort. Gold coins scattered across the floor. A throne made of rubies and diamonds was placed carefully at the end of the room. Sparkling crystal chandeliers dangled from the ceiling. Marble and jade statues lined the wall, and enormous chests filled with more great treasures were all across the place.

"Don't try anything," Girta growled. Chief Hydrac entered a moment later, with azure scales covered in a silver armor, gleaming bracelets rimming with jewels, and carefully decorated horns. She'd never seen a dragon so intent on looking nice.

Girta bowed, and shoved Astrid when she didn't do the same. Astrid reluctantly fell to her flippers, but didn't bother to lower her head. Why should she show respect to these barbaric dragons?

"I see no one's taught you to bow before royalty?" The Chief stated.

Astrid looked at him in defiance before slowly lowering her head.

"That's better," Hydrac said. "You may both rise, now." He turned to Astrid. "We are here to discuss the terms of your negotiation."

Astrid nodded. "I assure that you have no need to doubt my combat skills. I have been trained by my father, who used to be the Admiral of Ondalina." She didn't dare mention her crazy story about killing Orfeo, her ancestor, and also the most sinister mage of all time.

"So you wish to go home, to Ondalina," The Chief muttered. "What are you doing so far from home, then? Why are you out here?"

"Actually, that's far from it," Astrid cut in. "I'm seeking revenge."

"Revenge?"

"Yeah. You see, my father was poisoned by one of his own generals, so her son could take the throne. She tried to frame me for it, so I fled the realm for many years. But I'm ready to take back my rightful place now. And I'm going to need help."

The dragon seemed to think about this for a very long time. "And what's to stop you from just swimming away the second we let you hunt this beast?"

Astrid paused. "You could have dragons guarding me or something. To make sure I can't escape."

Chief Hydrac didn't look convinced. "What do you think, Girta?"

Girta didn't hesitate to respond. "I think she is filthy Ondalinian scum, just like the rest of those snitches. I wouldn't trust her for a minute."

Astrid blinked. "What are you talking about?" She demanded. "Why do you hate Ondalina so much? What about that beast?"

Girta bared her sharp fangs. "Liar. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about. The Ondalina general, Rylka -- or whoever the heck she is -- made an alliance with the beast because she's broke!"

"What are you talking about?" Astrid cried, incredulous.

Chief Hydrac interrupted. "You really don't know?"

"Haven't got a clue," Astrid responded swiftly.

"The general you're trying to overthrow has made an alliance with the Beast. Her people have been hunting it for years, actually, until she decided to put an end to it. She agreed to stop hunting it, and give it respect in her realm, but at a price. Ondalina has changed. It's supply of riches and metals is running low. The generals are fighting for power, since their leader is gone. So one of the generals, the one you hate so much, made the alliance with the Beast. It agreed to attack nearby villages that disrespected her. It agreed to hunt down her enemies and kill them. And worst of all, it agreed to steal riches from other wealthy creatures. Like us." The Chief scoffed angrily.

 At first, there was a long stretch of silence as Astrid began to think. Then, she spoke. "I have an idea, but I'm going to need your help. And you're going to have to trust me."