Chapter 8 - Shadows

They all screamed. Serafina quickly slammed the tiny window closed. Not that it helped. Almost immediately, a voice outside the door started calling out to them.

"Serafina de Merrovingia, you are and your friends are under arrest for terrorism, violence, and attacks on Matali." It was a female voice that sounded strangely familiar. Sera, Ling, and Becca's all widened and turned to Neela, who looked as pale as a shell.

"Neela... when you said troubles back home... did you meant like attacking kind of trouble? What's happening?" Becca asked Neela, which confirmed that something was wrong. Sera stared at Neela as she opened her mouth to tell them when suddenly the carriage flipped over.

Serafina landed roughly on her side as the roof window and curtain shattered and tore. She could hear Ling cough somewhere to her right, and Becca groaning. Sera managed to get up, but couldn't see anything thanks to the silt and bubbles billowing in through the window. She swam up to the hole and peeked outside. Immediately she was grabbed and pushed to the seafloor.

Only able to see with one eye, Sera noted her surroundings. They were between two ridges, with a crack of lava here or there. She looked up and saw only two mers, both wearing the armor and clothing of traditional Matali guards. That was strange, since it sounded like an entire army was after them from the shouts outside. But Sera wasn't sure, since she was distracted.

"Who are you? Where is the coachman?" Sera demanded.

"If I were you, Princess, I'd just come out now and face trial. I'll give you, say, a minute to talk with your friends. If you're not out by then . . . let's just say my pet here would enjoy tearing apart your carriage... along with everyone else." There was a low growl, as Sera looked over to see a giant moray eel slither over the fallen carriage. She turned back to see who had spoken, but no one was there.

The others were also getting out, starting to figure out what was happening.

"Hey! Let her go!" Ling shouted. The guards, surprisingly, did just that.

"Sera! What in Merrow's name is happening? They shouldn't be allowed to do this! You and Neela are royalty!" Becca said, "This is unlawful! What do they want with us?"

"I don't know what's going on exactly... but maybe, hang on. These guards are from Matali." Sera turned and looked for Neela, but she wasn't there. "Where did Neela go?" The merls turned around, desperate for an answer. Despair grasped Sera's heart as she wondered where she went. Was she captured while Sera was being held down?

Sera whispered, "I think this is what Mahdi tried to prevent me from knowing. These attacks! For all I know, hundred of merfolk could be dead! These guards probably think that they're protecting their waters, since we're the threat. "

Becca snorted. "Whoever would be dumb enough to think that you, of all people, attacked Matali. That's the craziest load of dragon dung I've ever heard! You're betrothed lives there!"

"I know! Maybe if we tell them they would listen."

"Ehem," came the voice of the strange guard, or whoever she was. "I believe a minute is up. Come now, Regina- or shall I say, Traitor. We must get going. The journey won't be short." The giant moray eel started to form a circle around them, showing them exactly what would happen if they disobeyed.

"Wait! I'm innocent! I can show you," Sera explained, but suddenly, out of nowhere, a pair of iron shackles were snapped onto her wrists.

"Coward," Sera snapped. "How dare you hide behind a transparansea pearl! Show yourself!"

Just then, a strange, whirling, void opened up beneath Sera.

"Help!" Sera shrieked as the void pulled her in. She caught a glimpse of her friends screaming and darting in to help, reaching out with their hands, but they were too late. Sera could already feel herself being pulled away, and she let herself slip into the eternal darkness below.

Gasping, Sera opened her eyes to another world. It was completely dark, except for the red moon jellies floating around. As her eyes adjusted, she realized there were bones scattered across the place, and as she slowly twisted around to observe more of her surroundings, her eyes widened, her mouth opened, and she never got the chance to scream.