Chapter 10 - Abyss

This had not gone as Sera had planned. What was supposed to be a fun, relaxing, coronation had turned into a total shipwreck. First, they were attacked by Ondalinian Warriors, Astrid ran off, they were falsely accused of something, and she got sucked into a vortex that led her to this pitch-black place.

"Hello?" Sera called out softly.

The only reply was the faint rolling of a rock as she got up. Sera quickly tried to sing a light spell, to light up the dark water enveloping her. But then she realized that she still had the iron manacles the invisible guard put on her. No magic? That could be bad. Since she couldn't cast a spell, she slowly waited until her eyes adjusted to the dark waters.

She gasped as she realized what she was seeing. The rocky ground below her was scattered with bones. Mer bones. She stifled a cry when she realized the rock that her tail had touched was actually a mermaid's skull. Not to mention a giant whale bone, and some other strange creatures. Sera couldn't believe it.

"Where am I?" She started to drift around, following around a patch of red moon jellies. Maybe they're edible. Sera thought. Suddenly one of the jellies swerved up and caught a giant black fish in its tentacles, swallowing the big fish as it was nothing. Sera could actually see a strange poison forming in water, and she quickly backed away. There was no way she could stay here.

Here? Where was here? Sera finally started processing the REAL truth. She was alone, with no magic, and probably in another dimension. How was she supposed to get out? Would she starve? Would she ever see light again? Would she ever return to her friends? Panic started to seize her.

"Help!" she screamed, no longer caring if some monster was lurking in the shadows. "Anybody there?"

Shhh. Shhh. Sera jumped with a start.

"Who are you?" Sera asked, picking up a nearby whale bone just in case.

We are the deceased ghosts from the Eternal Abyss. The voices whispered. Sera felt the water drop a chilly degree, and the current pick up a bit.

"Are you here to help me get back?" She hoped as the dark water pushed her back. "I need to help my friends! They could be in trouble! The last time I saw them it was-"

Forgot your friends. The voices seethed. You will never see them again. Sera's heart dropped. How could that be possible?

"No! I need to get back!" She cried, fighting the water current as it pushed her back.

No. You will stay here.

"I can't! Is there an exit, or a portal to get out-"

The voices screamed like a siren. The water started to slow down and gradually came to a stop.

"No... No... I need to get back! I want to- I want to go home!" Sera dropped her whale bone and collapsed on the seafloor, scattering little bones everywhere. She cried and screamed in frustration. The day kept getting worse and worse. "Take me back!" She shouted into the open water.

Silence answered her.

Serafina de Merrovingia. This time, only one voice answered. The descendant to Merrow.

"Yes! That's me!" Sera got off the floor and swam up. "Who are you?"

You do not need to know that. The voice mused. But I will help you, if you wish.

"You'll help me get out?"

No. The voice said. I'll help you understand the truth.

And suddenly, a whirlpool emerged underneath Sera and she was dragged underneath the sand and silt, disappearing into nothing.

Sera's eyes flew open as she took in her new surroundings. It was most certainly the same place -- dark, cold, and haunting -- but there was something different about it. As she looked around, she could hear voices that chilled her to the bone.

Rescue usssss

Save me, Princess . . . save me . . .

Come closer, dear one. Let us see you . . .

Sera shrieked as she felt an invisible tug on her tail. She could feel arms reaching out to grab her, trying the pull her into the nothingness below. She couldn't breathe. More ghostly forces pulled her down, until she couldn't even swim. She flapped her tail desperately, but to no avail. The strange voices continued, enchanting her with their songs.

You'll be safe down here . . .

No more troubles, no more worries . . .

Nothing to fear...

Soon, she could feel the shadows swallowing her up, and she let them willingly. There was no use in fighting. Besides, she was curious as to what was down there.

"ENOUGH!" A voice roared. The ghost forces vanished, the voices silenced, and a large ball of light appeared in front of Serafina. It was a burly merman with a long scar down his cheek. In one hand he held a glowing lantern, in the other, a spear. He was riding a whale -- one that had no flesh, just bones.

Sera backed away. "Who are you?"

The man laughed. "The question you should be asking, is who are you."

Sera blinked, confused. "I am Serafina, descendant of --"

The merman cut her off. "Oh, I know who you are, Serafina de Merrovingia. But take a look at yourself."

Sera looked at her hands. She almost screamed when she saw them. The tips of her fingers had become translucent, revealing her bones.

"That is what happens of those who enter the Eternal Abyss."

"The what?" Sera gasped.

"The Eternal Abyss is where the souls of the dead go to. The living are not meant to be here. Living creatures that stay here too long die, and become part of the Abyss."

"I need to get out of here," Sera sobbed. "Please. Help me."

The merman straightened his posture. "I'm afraid I cannot do that now, Serafina. It is my duty to escort you to my boss for further instructions. Not just anyone shows up in a place like this." 

Eternal Abyss - Waterfire Saga - Book 5On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara