Chapter 6 - Atlantica

"Atlantica is so pretty," Sera remarked. It was hard to remember the last time she'd seen this place. It's golden palace exterior was practically glowing, radiating a superior presence. It had been almost two days since they left Qin --- and since Astrid had left them.

"Really," Ling added, who, after a little bit of self-debating, decided she wanted to come with them. The mer filed out of the carriage, swimming down the long, smooth isles of Atlantica, towards the palace, where they'd be meeting Becca.

* * *

Becca had actually gotten an offer to work at the palace for good money after she'd come back from her adventure. She was honored as a hero, but didn't want the boring life of palace for the rest of her life. She preferred adventure. And now, her friends she hadn't seen in over two years were coming back!

Because of this special event, she had combed her normally untidy hair and put on a gold and orange sea silk dress. She stared in the mirror for a while, just making sure she looked fine, then headed out to the Dining Court, where Sera and the others had been invited to eat dinner with the Atlantican King.

"Becca!" Sera flung her arms around Becca. Grinning, Becca hugged her friend back. She hugged Neela and Ling too, before remembering that Astrid was supposed to be with them. She knew that Ava's Amazon town would be the next stop, but Astrid was supposed to be with them!

"Where's Astrid?" Becca blurted.

Sera paused, glancing at the other merls before saying, "We think she left us a day before we left for Atlantica. I tried sending a convoca, but she's not answering. We're not sure why, but she's a perfectly capable person, she should be fine so . . ." her voice trailed off, breaking.

Becca frowned. Why had she left? Was it that Astrid didn't want to see her? See Atlantica? A hundred thoughts passed through her head, most of them involving Astrid hurt or worse.
"Anyway, we should be on our coronation! Let's go!" Sera smiled, but it looked forced. She started at Neela, and she solemnly nodded.

"Wait, what about your meeting with the Atlantican King? If you just leave, he won't be very pleased." She said, confused. Sera started to drift away, and Becca had to swim up to her and stop her. "Sera! What's wrong?" She didn't answer, and Becca turned to Neela. "Neela? You'll tell me, right?"

Neela worriedly glanced at the merfolk eating around them, and casually reached into her purse. She pulled something small out, and even though it wasn't exactly important, Becca understood what it meant.

"There is someone out there, chasing us. They've infiltrated Ling's home disguised as Qin guards, and we think that some of them might be in Atlantica too. They claimed they were Ondalinians, but we're not sure. We have to get out of here before it's too late." Neela whispered, nibbling her zee zee. Those words were truly terrifying, but there was something else in her eyes that Becca saw.

"What else?" Becca asked.

"That's all," Sera replied. "What do you mean by 'what else'?" Becca glanced over to Neela, who's face paled. She looked so scared that she even stopped eating her sweets.

"Oh, nothing," Becca said. That was enough information she needed, but she also knew something that the others didn't know... Neela was hiding something.

"Let's go then!" Ling spoke up, starting to get worried. "We have to go pick up Ava before... they do." She and Sera started to swim towards the exit. Neela started to follow, but Becca stopped her.

"Neela, wait." Becca swam up in front of her and put her hands on her shoulders. She looked up in fright, something Becca was not used too. "What's wrong? I know you're hiding something." Neela opened her mouth to say something and then started to cry. Becca, surprised, let go of her and she sank to the bottom of the seafloor.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry..." She cried from the floor, hugging herself. The merfolk around her looked over, and one of them called out if they needed help.

"No, it's okay," Becca answered. "She's just a little unstable, that's all." She swam down to where Neela lay, and carefully picked her up and wrapped her arm around her shoulders. She was worried. What could have caused Neela to have such a breakdown? "It's alright merl, it's alright. Everything is going to be okay." Becca couldn't tell, but she thought that Neela might have muttered, "No, it's not."

They quickly made it outside to the road, where Sera and Ling were waiting. Before they got in, Neela quickly straightened and took her arm off of Becca. She took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry for what happened back there. I was just a little emotional. Back home in Matali, things aren't going so well. That's it." Neela said, her face stoic.

"Okay. It must be hard for you, but just know that I'll be here for you," Becca told her. "All of us will always support you." Her friend nodded and they both got into the carriage, as if nothing had happened.

But something clearly had.