Chapter 13 - Trial

Serafina didn't sleep all night. Not that there really was a daytime in this place anyway. Even with the large, soft, memory seafoam bed, and her lavishly decorated walls, and the scent pearls that reminded her of summer waters, she still wasn't able to get an ounce of comfort. She couldn't get the image of the bones, the terrible feeling she got when the souls had pulled her in -- and her friends -- who knew what Lucia had done to them?

Once the strange man, whose name was Orvan, and the bone-whale, Roggie, had rescued her, they'd brought her to the Eternal Palace, an enormous palace made for the Abyss Lord. That was his name, according to Orvan. The Abyss Lord reports directly to the underworld god, apparently. Then Orvan brought Sera to a room where she could stay for awhile until someone came to get her. She noticed he hadn't mentioned 'sleep', but in a place dark as this, Sera felt that day and night weren't really a thing. The room was nice, really, but Sera hated it. She felt like it trapped her in this shell of a place.

Her bonds had been removed, so Sera was free to cast her spells. But Orvan had warned her any sign of her trying to defy him would result in her death. She also couldn't shake off the fact that now almost her entire hand was translucent.

Just then, a knock at her door sounded. Sera sighed. "You can come in."

She expected to see Orvan, but instead, a mer servant flounced in, her entire body transparent. She was very beautiful, with long golden hair that bobbed on her shoulders, and a silky gown draping her turquoise tail and trailing over her purple fins.

"Hello, there. You're Serafina, correct . . .yep, you are! I've heard about you! You're quite the legend around here." She winked. "My name is Friss, by the way," I've been serving here for five thousand four hundred twenty six years. I keep very close track." She offered a smile. "I know you're very confused right now, so I'm here to help you out. Be glad. Most servants swim in, say a bunch of orders, clean the room, and then leave and wish you good luck. But I've been here so long -- longer than any other servant -- I know how to work things around here."

Serafina blinked, trying to understand. "You're over five thousand years old? Pardon me for asking, but you look so young . . . are you --"

"A ghost? Yes," Friss said sadly. "Condemned to serve in the Eternal Abyss for all of eternity. I made many mistakes when I was alive. And now . . ." she shrugged sadly.

Sera still had so many questions, but she figured she could wait to ask them.

"Anyway," Friss said, clapping her hands to break the silence. Sera almost jumped when she realized Friss' hands still made a sound when they touched. "You were called to a special dinner by the Mistress. We have to pick something nice for you to wear." Friss wandered over to a closet and yanked open the door. Dresses and blouses and tail wrappings all came tumbling out. Friss huffed. "I guess this means Grott didn't do his cleaning -- again. C'mon, let's find you something presentable, Princess."

* * *

Serafina took a deep breath before heading into the grand dining room. It was a ridiculously large table lit only by several red moon jellies hovering near them. Sera shuddered as she remembered the way they has eaten the giant fish. At the head of the table, a burly woman with a scar going through her right eye was seated. She had a powerful presence, so Sera bowed slowly.

The woman nodded and gestured for Sera to have a seat.

"I've heard about you," the woman said bluntly. "The strange little Princess who defied Holy Morsa and defeated Orfeo, whose mother was killed, who discovered all the talismans, who discovered the existence of the River Witches, who started one of the biggest wars we've ever known . . ." she sighed. "I could go on forever, but I don't believe in wasting time. Now tell me -- how exactly did you get here?" The woman leaned closer, and Sera could see the way her scar wriggled on her face like a seaworm.

Sera nodded. "I -- I am not actually sure myself. But I guarantee you I was brought here against my will. I was on my, uh, coronation, when we were attacked by an old enemy. Lucia Volnero, is her name. We all thought she was gone, but I guess not. Anyway, she ambushed us and captured my friends, but not before opening some portal -- or void that swallowed me up. I ended up in the Abyss, but not the same part we're in now. I was trapped and stuck, until a ghost, a voice started speaking to me. She said she'd help me understand the truth. And now . . . here I am."

The woman tapped her chin thoughtfully. She turned to her bodyguard, who, with a start, Serafina realized, was Orvan.

Orvan bowed. "She's telling the truth, Mistress Cirra."

Sera stiffened. How did he know?

Cirra nodded. "Very well. Bring in the dishes, please."

Ghost servants filed in the room, bringing in a ridiculous amount of large dishes and drinks. A silver platter and silverware were placed in front of Sera and Cirra. Sera tentatively took a scoop of fresh seaweed salad and a cut of tuna. After all that had happened, she wasn't feeling hungry at all. But she didn't want to seem disrespectful by taking nothing, either.

Cirra, on the other hand, took enormous amounts of assorted fishes, rolls, and drinks. She scowled when she noticed Sera staring. "I forget that you puny mer have tiny stomachs."

Several minutes into the meal, Cirra spoke. "So, Serafina, I'm sure you're wondering what happens to you next. And I have decided. I don't have the power to bring you back. Only the Abyss Lord does. But he does not have an audience so easily. You'd be surprised how many people end up in here by accident. The only reason we're even doing this right now is because you're the Queen of Miromara. Otherwise, we'd just have left you to die in the Abyss alone. Am I clear?"

Serafina nodded. "You are, Miss."

Cirra was satisfied. "Good. Now, moving on. I know you have plenty of questions, and your servant should be able to answer any that you have. But what's going to happen is simple -- you'll be going to trial to be judged, to make sure you're worthy of the Abyss Lord, and if you make it, we will send you to him so he can send you back -- or whatever he decides to do."

"Of course. And if I don't win the trial?"

"Well," Cirra muttered, glancing at Orvan. "You'll die."