Helplessness- A Slave's Story to tell

Kattappa sat in the Royal weapons warehouse with his head bowed. He still could not take all the sudden changes. His beloved Baahu was not a King but Sarvasainyadyaksha. Princess Devasena who was supposed to be the Queen of Maahishmati was now a Vanchaki in the eyes of Rajamata.

Where did things go wrong?

When the king should be the first to marry, was it wrong to think that the proposal Rajamata sent to Kunthalam was for Baahu?

When in the letter she sent, only Son was mentioned without any name or proper introduction, how can he conclude that the son could be Bhalla and not Baahu?

Whose mistake was it to send a proposal to a princess without letting her know about the groom or meeting in person?

Whose mistake was it to ask for Kshatriya Vivaham when Yuvarani Devasena doesn't even know about Bhalla or Baahu for that matter.

Kattappa shook his head. Sivagami was at the wrong. But can he blame her? He did not know. She was being played by her own son. Its sad that Sivagami fell for it. He was helpless.

"Mama!"

Kattappa looked up and saw Baahu sheathing his sword and the Royal Dagger that is the symbol of Sarvasainyadyaksha. Kattappa sighed and got up.

"Mama! Its time"

He said. Yes. Indeed it was time. Tomorrow was Devasena's Seemantham and they were still stuck in royal duty.

"Padha Baahu"

"Where are you coming?"

"To Kunthalam"

"You should be here with Maharaja"

Kattappa shook his head. He and missing Devasena's Seemantham? No way.

"I should be there to make arrangements for Maharaja's arrival"

He could see Baahu smiling. Both men started on horseback.

Kattappa was running around looking into arrangements. But not of Maharaja's arrival, but Devasena's seemantham. He was so happy.

As the ritual was going on Devasena called him asked for a gift. Kattappa did not know what to do? What can a slave give her?

"Naaku thandri leru, aaynaki thandri leru. Naa Biddani nuvvu etukuntava Kattappa? Will you take him first?"

And the tears he had always managed to contain from the moment Baahu called him Mama flowed down. Who else will give the place of a father to a slave like him?

Devasena was really a Queen.

"Chethullo kadu! Naa thala meeda mosta Thalli. I will carry him on my head"

He said emotionally. His Baahu stood proudly looking at his wife. They were really made for each other.

Things were not going really well right now. Baahu's SarvaSainyadyaksha post has also been stripped off him. And he could do nothing. Rajamata's silence was really proving to be Dangerous like Devasena stated on the day of her seemantham.

And Today, he was standing there, bowing to his King when his daughter devasena was standing there, chained for no mistake of hers.

She is a girl who never bowed to the man who, she loved and how did they think she will stay put when she was being insulted. She chopped his fingers off. He expected nothing less from.

But he was helpless. He was slave for the throne. And He could do nothing to save the dignity of Devasena.

He could not contain his pride when he saw Baahu slit the throat of the man who misbehaved with his wife and released her from shackles.

But again he was helpless when his Baahu and Devasena were thrown out of the Royal Fortress.

He hated this helplessness.

He saw Baahu and devasena really blossoming among the common people. Though he did not like the way they were thrown out, he was really happy seeing them happy. He envied Kumara Varma who walked out with them. He was in shackles while Kumara was not. In his life he never felt the burden of being a slave like this moment.

He was staring at nothing particular when he saw the blinking of lamp above Baahu's hut. What were they doing awake so late. Mabe..

Kattappa hurried out and reached their Hut, to see Baahu pacing outside looking tensed.

"Baahu?"

He called. Baahu came rushing to him and held his hands.

"Emayindi Baahu?"

"Mama.. Devasena.."

At that moment he heard grunts and cries of Devasena and smiled. He held Baahu's shoulder and they heard a loud cry of the little one. Baahu's smiled and so did Kattappa.

The midwife came out all smiles.

"A son!"

Kattappa grinned.

"Can I"

Baahu asked the midwife who nodded and let him way. Baahu ran in and first went to Devasena who was smiling in spite of the tired lines on her face and tears in her eyes.

"Evandi.."

She tried to get up.

"How are you Devasena?"

Devasena just nodded her head and Baahu hugged her. Kattappa could not stop himself. He went inside.

"Kattappa"

He heard Devasena call. The lady there brought the baby. Devasena signalled to him.

"Nee Manavadu Kattappa"

She said. His dam broke as he took the little foot and kept it on his head. He could hear the baby giving a sound and sobbed.

"Ethuko Kattappa"

He heard Devasena say. With tears blurring his vision, he took the baby from the lady's hands.

His Baahu's and Devasena's Son. He could see the baby move and open his eyes for a split second and closing again. He hugged that little bundle close to him. He would always cherish this little life.

"Mama!"

He could see his Baahu waiting eagerly. He placed the baby in his arms who took him to his wife. Both looked at their bundle of joy together.

At this moment, he remembered the sight Baahu showed him in Kunthalam.

"Nindu Jaabili.. Jatha Kattina chakora Pakshilu"

He was so happy but he felt so helpless as he could do nothing for this new life. He could not shout and celebrate.

After spending good amount of time with them he returned to Fortress only to know that he was being summoned by the King.

He went there and saw Rajamata Sivagami Devi sitting determined and King Bhallaladeva standing beside her with blood flowing from above his eyes. He did not like this. Something was definitely wrong and it gave him a very bad feeling.

"Rajamata Pilichara?"

He asked as he stood bowing before her.

"Are you still loyal to the throne of Maahishmati Kattappa?"

Kattappa did not know why this question was coming now. But he did not have a good feeling about this.

"Of course. As you say"

He said bowing.

"Kill Baahubali!"

And his world stopped. Was the order to kill Baahubali? The one whom he adored like his own son? The one who never treated him inferior? The one who took everything put on his way smiling and never complained? The one who is just stepping into fatherhood?

"It is Royal Order"

And he did not hate his helplessness. Because at this moment he was a living corpse as he bowed to the King and his royal order!